Glue or gasketed?

greenmonster304

LawnSite Platinum Member
For those of you who install large diameter pipe (4"-6") which do you use and why? I am bidding a job for an organic farm that needs a few thousand feet of mainline installed to run their rain reels with. They have a tractor driven well capable of 500 gpm @ 150 psi.
Posted via Mobile Device

1idejim

LawnSite Fanatic
For those of you who install large diameter pipe (4"-6") which do you use and why? I am bidding a job for an organic farm that needs a few thousand feet of mainline installed to run their rain reels with. They have a tractor driven well capable of 500 gpm @ 150 psi.
Posted via Mobile Device
sched 40 and glue

jvanvliet

LawnSite Gold Member
sched 40 and glue
I don't think glued fittings will hold @ 150 PSI;

Maximum operating pressure for 6" SCD 40 PVC is 106 lbs, 133PSI for 4", bursting pressure is higher.

I would go for gasketed pipe with thrust blocks and/or restraints like the irrigator suggested, or flanged fittings.

1idejim

LawnSite Fanatic
I don't think glued fittings will hold @ 150 PSI;

Maximum operating pressure for 6" SCD 40 PVC is 106 lbs, 133PSI for 4", bursting pressure is higher.

I would go for gasketed pipe with thrust blocks and/or restraints like the irrigator suggested, or flanged fittings.
i stand corrected, didn't pay attention to the psi v size

the irrigator

LawnSite Member
Dealing with this flow and pressure is a different "ballgame" then residential or light commercial work. There is definately a learning curve. It might be a good idea to see if you can work with someone who has done this type of work before, you will avoid any costly and embarassing mistakes and learn along the way. Just my two cents.