Glyphosate backpack BLOWER!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by zlandman, Dec 3, 2019.

1. zlandman

zlandman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

There is this horticulturist who writes articles for several regional papers around here. Usually a pretty good read with good info.

So he's writing about managing Woodlands. We have a big problem with invasive honeysuckle.

His logic is in late fall everything has dropped its leaves except honeysuckle holds on a little longer. So he advocates walking the woods with a backpack mister indiscriminately blanket applying glyphosate!

I was shocked/ horrified/ intrigued but they may be onto something. Thoughts?

Cam15 likes this.
  2. No gloves

No gloves LawnSite Member

sounds like deadheading with a chainsaw.

Cam15 and zlandman like this.
  3. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Fanatic

Seems like an idea if it’s that bad. We regularly gly over dormant Bermuda to kill winter weeds.

rlitman, Cam15 and zlandman like this.
  4. MowDaddy

MowDaddy LawnSite Fanatic

If it is truly still the only plant actively growing then it may be fine.
    But if it is dormant and just doesn't release it's leafs until later. At best it's just a waste of of chemicals and $s.
    At worst it's not following label and almost criminal.

Cam15 and zlandman like this.
  5. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Fanatic
    from Chicago

What a stupid idea. If your spraying enough to kill the honeysuckle your going to kill a bunch of of other stuff too. Then your the reason we get Roundup resistant weeds and everyone will hate you.

Cam15 likes this.
  6. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Gold Member
    from WV

What type of honeysuckle? Talking about the invasive Asian Honeysuckle? I wouldn't do a mist of gly. Best control method around here has been a basal bark application. It's horrible in a lot of places and been listed in the state as the #2 invasive plant behind Japanese knot weed.

If you are doing a foliar app you are risking a really high potential for non-target damage.

7. Digitaria Sanguinalis

Digitaria Sanguinalis LawnSite Senior Member

Using a “backpack blower” to apply herbicides is dangerous and idiotic. Maybe a backpack mister? Not any better suited. Did they also recommend wearing a full Tyvek suit and self contained breathing apparatus?

Sounds like this article is looking to create more plaintiffs in glyphosate law suits. So please use that blower/ mister and enjoy those lungs full of Round Up.

I’m guessing the article actually said “backpack sprayer”

Cam15 likes this.
  8. caseysmowing

caseysmowing LawnSite Silver Member

I’ve used a mist blower with roundup on my gravel driveway and on any bulk type spraying. It works very well and very fast. Not a good idea if windy or trying to apply above the waist. Legal? Don’t know and don’t really care. Not something I do that often.

9. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

I'm guessing the "expert" has no real experience/knowledge using said equipment.

I could see doing this with a conventional Backpack. While I've never gone after this particular plant I'm guessing there might be better chemicals than Gly

Cam15 and hort101 like this.
  10. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Fanatic

I'm surprised to see the Glyphosate label includes mistblower application except for California and Arizona.

Cam15 likes this.