1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Godaddy.com

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Allens LawnCare, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Allens LawnCare

Allens LawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I'm sure this sounds stupid but I just bought my domain name through Go-Daddy.....Any advise. What to use hints/tips etc......Not really sure what I'm doing...Thanks for the help

2. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

look at my site i use them for the domain buying and hosting each month

3. Turboguy

Turboguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I would rate GoDaddy as the best choice by far for Domain names but personally I would rate them far below average for hosting. I have two sites hosted with them which will both be pulled if I ever get the time.

Frontier, not bad for a home made job. Since I own property in North Port and could end up your neighbor if I ever decide to retire I will be nice to you. Actually I am usually nice to everyone all the time anyway. You have some good things on your site but might want to work on getting a logo on the top of the home page and work on the links a bit as well as getting content on some of the blank pages. Still, not bad! I just took a quick glance so I will stop there.

4. Frontier-Lawn

i used smox pad to edit one of the gopher web templetes that they have.

5. Frontier-Lawn

also what blank pages are you talking about?

and i reather save the $1,000+ on a web design like this site probly spent http://www.artistree.com/ and save it for a good new ZTR :drinkup:

6. Turboguy

Turboguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I looked again and it wasn't blank. The links page was what I saw and there were actually a few links on there but at a glance it looks empty.

If Artistree only spent a grand he got a good deal. I just glanced at the home page but it looked like it would convert enough extra business to pay for a complete ZTR in no time. So you are saying saving a thousand is better than increasing your business enough that you earn an extra $ 20,000 or $ 30,000 a year?

Really your site is decent. I think there might be a few things that could improve it but all in all you did a good job. I have no ax to grind one way or the other. I do my own websites but that is it.

7. Frontier-Lawn

we i have no prob with this
    i just have a prob with having time to do any more lawns then what just i can handle right now. wife has new job 38 miles away (one way) and i have to now work mowing to when she's off and watching the kids when she's working.

and is cool i like axe's :laugh: :waving: :drinkup:

8. cbscreative

cbscreative LawnSite Member

Back to the original question, GoDaddy is a good choice for domains and not so much for hosting just as Turbo says, but I will offer some important advice. Have a list of domains you would like to get BEFORE doing a search. Once you do the search, register the ones you want IMMEDIATELY. They will disappear in as little as a couple hours if you don't. Register both the .com and .net if they are available. All the others like .info and .biz are a waste IMO. It's a good idea to get the Private Registration, but all the other extras are just a way to line the pockets of GoDaddy.

9. Frontier-Lawn

i had no choice but to get the .biz, i wanted .com for me but a outdoor rec company took it already because i named the company before a search.

so addition to what you said; after you pick a domain name then name you company after that web name not the other way around, if you 100% want a .com and not a .biz.

10. Allens LawnCare

Allens LawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Currently I'm a dot nothing....just figured I'd buy it while it was available.........