Going Back to Conventional Oil?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by lawnspecialties, Jun 11, 2018.

1. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

We've got bingoThumbs UpThumbs Up

2. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I've been very lucky then I guess because I haven't had a Kawi burn oil yet. My last two Kohlers did. I own a few small Kaw's on JD 21" that are 23 a and 21 years old now, and neither uses oil at all. My Z goes the full 100 and then some without using oil. My 28 year old JD GT has a Kawi 14 HP in it that doesn't use any oil as long as I use straight 30W or 10W-40 etc in it and not 10W-30 or lighter.

It's fairly widely known that starting to use synthetic oils in older engines will make them start to leak or use oil when they never did with dino oil, so maybe that is partly why the semi-synthetic Kawi oils work so well, IDK, but they do work great.

sjessen likes this.
  3. Eric502

Eric502 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Kentucky

This is something I was thinking earlier....... Part of the chemistry with synthetic is the molecular particle size, in synthetic it is more consistent and uniform. Conventional there is fluctuations, some particles are bigger than others. Kind of like buying a sack of potatoes... they are different sizes. But pay a few bucks more and you can get a bag where all the potatoes are the same size and shape.

So to me it is easy to understand why some things will leak on synthetic or burn synthetic oil when they do not on conventional oil. I had a low mileage jeep one time, the transfer case had absolutely no issues, the jeep was still under warranty. I changed the fluid to royal purple synthetic.... it leaked out the output shaft.

4. JayinKs

JayinKs LawnSite Senior Member

I’ve been lucky. My 19hp Kaw never used oil til it got wore out. I might of had to add a few ounces in 100hrs. My new 29efi Kohler is close to 100hrs and has never used a drop! I changed the oil at 10hrs, 65hrs and I will change again at 100 just to get the changes to an easy number to remember. After that I’ll prob go every 100.

5. sbronemann

sbronemann LawnSite Member

Just an FYI....Amsoil makes a synthetic 20W-50 oil as well. They also make a synthetic 10W-40 specifically for small engines. I am a dealer so my prices are a bit less than a regular person would pay. But, any local Amsoil guy could help you out if interested. Or, if you'd like anymore info, let me know and I'd be happy to help in any way I could.

Harley08 and hort101 like this.
  6. Eric502

Male, from Kentucky

Yea i have a commercial acct. I keep debating when the time comes to use synthetic in my ttii rather to use 10w-40 small engine or the 20w-50 premium. IIRC the 10w-40 had a better NOAK and ball wear test.

7. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

We still talking oil here??? :laugh:

8. sbronemann

sbronemann LawnSite Member

Ya, I basically just use mine for my personal use in my vehicles and equipment. So don't know much about that oil personally. But I don't think you'd go wrong on either of them.

Eric502 likes this.
  9. Eric502

Male, from Kentucky

I knew it would be you or weeze to say this! LOL!

Ridin' Green likes this.
  10. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

ball wear? i've never had that problem. :laugh:

Ridin' Green and Eric502 like this.