1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Dismiss Notice

going down ramps w a belt-drive walk behind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tiner, Feb 7, 2018.

1. tiner

tiner LawnSite Member

what is the preferred (correct) way to back down ramps w a belt drive WB mower?
    in neutral,using brakes? (seems very tricky) or in gear using belts to slow you down?
  2. Greencuts518

Greencuts518 LawnSite Senior Member

I did it in neutral coming off of pick up bed.
  3. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic

with a belt drive,

Dont start it,
    Put it in neutral.
    Pull it back to the edge of the ramp.
    Get set with your feet about half way down the ramp (handle bars are a little below your shoulder level)
    "pop a wheelie" so you are balancing the weight on the drive tires.
    Make sure you are line up.
    Give it a tug and let er rip.
    Basically you just got to stay out of the machined way... you can use the brakes to slow down stop if you want/need, but typically once you get used to it, its not necessary.

The trick is the wheelie and balance, you can come down fast or slow, as long as you control the balance and the brakes.

Once the whole machine is solidly on the ramp, the wheelie is no longer necessary so you can let that fade out as the machine is rolling down the ramp.

I should make a video.
  4. Greencuts518

Yeah a video is a good idea..I never actually stood on ramps. I would stand on ground in between ramps and did the wheelie as mentioned just focusing on keeping rear wheels on ramps. Then it's all gravity and brakes. I guess if the brakes aren't good then that's bad news..But I had wooden ramps and wouldn't trust the weight of myself and the mower to walk on them.
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    hort101 likes this.
  5. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Fanatic
    from zone 6

Id use the belts . that's how I do pulling off trailer , ramps... would never put a WB in a truck bed.
  6. Greencuts518

Yeah not the safest option but efficient for just mowing. I did it for a whole season as I saved up for trailer. But looking back I can see how there's room for error. Plus it kills the suspension and brakes carrying extra 500 lbs around with you 5 days a week
  7. ltdlawn

ltdlawn LawnSite Silver Member

Couldn't imagine not using hydro. Buy some decent ramps. I used 7.5 foot bi folding aluminum ones cost like $130 as the treads started to bend dropped another $100 at a welder and they are built like a brick now. The real concern with working from the bed is the tailgate. Its rated at 500 or less usually. Once you do it for a while it's almost natural.
  8. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Fanatic
    from zone 6

Good argument for a belt drive.

GRANTSKI LawnSite Bronze Member

The metal atv ramps come w straps that attach to ur bumper to keep the ramps from slipping. That eliminates one danger .but The biggest hazard is if you ever loose your footing backing down. My mom had a friend that died that way...slipped backwards and mower came down onto his chest/head.
    I slipped forward w my snowblower and luckily only smacked my chin on the ground and semi crushed a finger when the snowblower came down on it.
    Point is : ramps are dangerous w large machines. Get a trailer if at all.possible.
    hort101 and dishboy like this.
  10. Greencuts518

Yes mowers you need a trailer but for snow blowers use an equipment hitch carrier with drop down gate. Not perfect but safer then ramps and slippery surface...