Lawn Care Forum banner
41 - 60 of 102 Posts
rodfather said:
The offer to view our books stands open for you and anyone else that thinks we talk garbage btw. I might drink mash, but I don't talk trash...period
Sounds like you have something to prove? Why though? It's just an internet forum. Is there someone questioning the legitimacy of your operation? Where did this come from?

Thanks Rod for your honesty. I'm fairly new to the business, however I am not new to managing people, for that's what I do in my full time job. My question to you Rod is, have you ever given thought to paying people based on a percentage?

Again thanks Rod for your honesty. I for one appreciate your openness. :)

Hard Worker said:
Thanks Rod for your honesty. I'm fairly new to the business, however I am not new to managing people, for that's what I do in my full time job. My question to you Rod is, have you ever given thought to paying people based on a percentage?

Again thanks Rod for your honesty. I for one appreciate your openness. :)
I did in the very beginning pay a percentage. Forget how much, think it was like 30%???

1MajorTom said:
Sounds like you have something to prove? Why though? It's just an internet forum. Is there someone questioning the legitimacy of your operation? Where did this come from?
Try reading the previous pages for a change... :rolleyes:

PMLAWN said:
Thank you for your sharing Rod and don't let the younger/newer guys run you off. It has happened before and a lot of wisdom is no longer on lawnsite.
Nope, not going to happen. In fact, the one's (both genders) I have found to be distrustful and/or misleading of the information I willingly offer to all here on LS are the same ones who are jealous and spiteful...I kind of feel sorry for them in a way.

rodfather said:
Nope, not going to happen. In fact, the one's (both genders) I have found to be distrustful and/or misleading of the information I willingly offer to all here on LS are the same ones who are jealous and spiteful...I kind of feel sorry for them in a way.
Keep it up Rod!!!!!!! :waving:

rodfather said:
I cannot comment on Mr. Gedds operation...only our own thank you. The offer to view our books stands open for you and anyone else that thinks we talk garbage btw. I might drink mash, but I don't talk trash...period
I guess you think others making over you lets you off the hook. You are the one who made the above offer out of nowhere. It doesn't matter how much advice you give you are the one with the big bad bold statements about opening your books.

I see you as a nice guy as long as things go your way and then you turn into a hot head if you don't like what you hear. If you are kidding with your comments like BobbyGeld does that is fine but you don't have good interpersonal relationship skills on the internet when things don't go your way. I wonder how you are with your employees in real life situations when things don't go your way.

I am still wondering how you pay over $22.00 and hour and make money. Are you doing the Bobbygeld routine of making claims, saying you can prove it and then backing out.

I think Mr. Magpie would like some answers to his questions.

DLS1 said:
I am still wondering how you pay over $22.00 and hour and make money. Are you doing the Bobbygeld routine of making claims, saying you can prove it and then backing out.
What's the big deal about paying over 20 an hour and can still make money? Hell, I pay my other 2 guys that help me plow in the winter 30 an hour and all they do is sit in a truck and plow snow.

Sorry you can't pay your employees and/or yourself as much as I do for myself and mine...perhaps you need to look at your pricing strategy at your earliest convenience.

C'Mon DLS1....

your head certainly cannot be THAT firmly planted.

It's not impossible for someone to be making money from someone else that's being paid $20-30 / hour.

In your area, maybe. Maybe your area doesn't have the accounts that will support such a payscale.

However, there are indeed other areas that will support such a payscale.

Plus there are certain accounts that will support such a payscale.

When Rod's paying $25 / hour, that means his other wage expenses top that wage out about $40-45 / hour. If he's charging $60-75 / hour, he's grossing an extra $20 / hour.

Now obviously he's got equipment costs and such to maintain, but if you've got 10 guys working for you, that's $200 / hour, on the low end. That's saying he's paying everyone $25 / hour. Now just think of the margin for the guys that are only getting $15 / hour.

Now take that times an 8 hour day, 5 days / week. That's $9,000 / week that he's made off of 10 guys.

A 25 week mowing season??? You're up to $225,000 that you've GROSSED off of 10 guys working for you, paying them $25 / hour.

Now again, we're talking gross numbers. We all know what kind of hassles we can get into when everyone starts talking about gross / net.

But to come on here and more or less insist that there's no way someone could pay another person $25 / hour and still make money at it, that just shows you need to get your own rates up.

1MajorTom said:
I gotta agree with you Rod, I'd feel sorry for anyone too that could be possibly jealous of someone on an internet forum. There should be nothing to prove here. Talk is cheap. Period.
He made the claim of showing books and I am taking up his offer to see them. Rod can send them privately in an email to me. I could careless what he pays people.

He is the one that came on strong with he would show the books without anyone asking him to do it. But we know that won't happen. If you make a statement like you did Rod about showing books then you better understand someone is going to call you out. If someone can call out BobbyGeld about his profit figures then why would you be any different.

Talk is cheap Rod. Period. Have a nice day and be careful what you say you will do next time. :D

You sound an awful like a LS member who said "no mas" not too long ago...packerbacker I seem to remember from KC too. You're quite arguementative like him as well..twin clone or is it you John?

rodfather said:
I have no personal friendship so much with my employees since I am going to be 51 in November and the oldest I employee is 27. Secondly, I guess I have been "lucky" now for 11 straight, full time years doing this way huh...correct me if I have erred please.
51 is not that old Rod I will still be your friend :p but I am over 27 so that may not count. I think you get away with those wages Rod because you have them work such short days and do not pay much if any OT and for you that works great. 22.50 and hour does not hurt that much 33.75 an hour OT stings like hell. But I know what you make and I do not need to see your books you do this long enough and you do a few hundred estimates a year and you learn to see truth and when some one is full of BS like me your always on the level.

rodfather said:
Right...I'll get right on that :rolleyes:
Just as I thought. Case closed.

Argumentative is asking to see books that you said you will show. I see you will never show books as you claim so I am not saying anything else about it. :dizzy: :dizzy:

41 - 60 of 102 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.