Going in Debt

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by bkennett, Oct 15, 2017.

1. bkennett

bkennett LawnSite Member
    Male, from Rocky Mount, VA

I have an amazing landscaping and lawn care business. We do landscape installs, new yard installs, Squirt and Fert treatments, mowing, and snow removal. Up until now my compact tractor and various attachments have served my needs. I am wanting to branch out in to forestry mulching with a CTL. No one around me within 100 miles has one. I would love to be the first one to our market with one and have a CTL to use for my landscape/snow removal needs. Anyone else made the jump of $140k plus in debt for a machine? What are some obstacles I'm going to face getting started?

2. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

How much work do you have for a fecon? It’s very specialized work
    Usually government contracts

Mdirrigation likes this.
  3. dieselss

dieselss LawnSite Silver Member

Why 140k?
    You looking for new?

4. ztman

ztman LawnSite Bronze Member

Look up the Krazy Kajun threads. He had a maintenance company, went back to law enforcement, then came back in the biz to do land clearing. He is down in Louisana.
    Haven't seen him on here in awhile, hope he is doing well

hort101 likes this.
  5. marcusmac99

marcusmac99 LawnSite Senior Member

Forestry work is capital intensive. There may be a very good reason why no one within 100 miles of you has the equipment. But, kudos to you for looking for a unique niche in your area. You have done a good job doing the research.
    I would look at being able to make payments if that machine was 50% utilized. Then hopefully you can keep it 60 to 70% utilized.

Mdirrigation likes this.
  6. brichter14

brichter14 LawnSite Senior Member

I would look at a used machine and a New attachment... baby steps...its just like any other part of business, work your way up to that pay grade.

JLSLLC likes this.
  7. CMFarrellWNY

CMFarrellWNY LawnSite Member

I just bought T590 high flow machine to do something similar. While i'm not jumping head first into mulching i am going to do some land clearing, grading, excavation etc. I'm looking at a large brush hog to begin with for spring then move forward from there. They do offer mulcher set ups for my high flow machine although i know a 90-100hp is more desirable. I wanted a larger machine but the 590 was what was priced right and the right size for other jobs as well. I'm in the same boat...my landscape company does really really well. Guess i'm just looking to take it to the next level.

8. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

He was on a few weeks ago.

9. TPendagast

Male

Oh

You don’t want a used fecon
    Ever watched the show axemen?
    See anything you would like to buy?

Didn’t think so

There’s no cherries in Forestry

stringfellohawk and Mdirrigation like this.
  10. TPendagast

Male

When you’re looking at the typical land clearing proposals you can’t touch the production with “conventional methods”
    I know
    I’ve tried
    I gave up.

Although the equipment investment is high, labor is low.
    Which in the long run is what really costs any of us the most $$$$

stringfellohawk and Mdirrigation like this.