Going on vacation

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by FitzRightMowingService, Jun 3, 2019.

1. FitzRightMowingService

FitzRightMowingService LawnSite Member

I was just wondering how everyone handles going on vacation. We will be gone for a week and will be letting our customers know in order for them to find a replacement.

2. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

3. hal

hal LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Georgia

Vacation??? What's that?

4. snomaha

snomaha LawnSite Bronze Member
    from midwest

You are going to make your customers find a replacement company while you take vacation - hmmmm

Hope they dont find permanant replacments...

5. Mowing monkey.

Mowing monkey. LawnSite Senior Member

I’ve found the replacements myself. I wouldn’t expect to dump that responsibility on the customer and still have a yard to cut when I get back.

6. Andrew H

Andrew H LawnSite Silver Member

I try to go away when it slows down a bit, March/April, August, I’ll go hunting in October and November and go away in December before we start plowing.

It’s important to take time off and get away from the business for a few days, your customers should understand

7. EricC

EricC LawnSite Senior Member

i'd find a replacement for your customers before leaving

8. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, I usually take one for a week and come back a day or 2 early. I don't generally have a replacement. If I do, I certainly would find it myself and not have the customer deal with it. I have had times where my helper went and did a few by himself. Just depends who is working for me at the time.

I usually push mine as late in the week as possible the week before vacation, so they may be a day later than normal the week before vacation, and then the weekly accounts may end up going about 10 days before they get cut the week I am on vacation. I will come home at the end of the week and work extra long days Friday, Saturday and Sunday after vacation to get caught back up for the most part. It would be difficult for someone with like 6 full days of accounts working solo, but the way I have mine set up, it works great. Everyone seems to be okay with it. Never had any major issues, I just dread coming back to the mess and over working myself. But family time is important too.

9. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

We go when the season is over. Nice to go somewhere warm when it’s cold out, so it works out well.

10. OP
    OP
    FitzRightMowingService

FitzRightMowingService LawnSite Member

We don't know anyone who does lawn care. If our clients can not find someone we will call around and try to find the best replacement.