Going solo

Mitty87

LawnSite Silver Member
I don't know how you guys do it alone. I have my wife which is basically a foreman who can do everything, so while our employees frequently let us down and we are always behind on our schedule, at least I have someone to rely on. The only problem is I have to pay her half.

Gus McGee

LawnSite Senior Member
Since I am an S Corp., I don’t carry workers compensation nor can I being a sole employe. I have a major disability policy that I bought many years ago as well as having a long term healthcare plan as well.

The one insurance I do not have at the moment and I don’t advocate anyone doing this, but I am not carrying health insurance. My reason being is I don’t have any health issues, don’t need prescription meds, but mostly due to the cost. Yes I know it’s not a good reason but it’s the principle. They want over 1600 per month for insurance to cover only me and I refused to pay that. This is through highMark Delaware.

I pay myself too much to get any assistance. I will turn 65 in April and will start the process of Medicare/Medicaid in January. I just have to make it through the next few months without anything stupid happening.

You can't get a garbage plan for much less? One of the 8k or so deductible plans that covers nothing until you reach 8k out of pocket? They seem like a huge waste of money considering they don't cover anything unless you have major medical expenses, but at least they will cover you if something major happens. An 8k bill is better than a several hundred thousand dollar bill.

cold-beer

LawnSite Senior Member
I would never run a crew in this job market. Solo is the only way I could do this job these days.

It's not for everyone though. My wife works for the state, and I have healthcare through it. I also inherited a home that will serve as my retirement. I also have a college education that will land me a decent desk job if I get hurt.

Solo nets me about $1200-1500 a week for most of the year right now with 4 days mowing and one day for projects/catch up. Things die down in the winter, but I still stay pretty busy with projects.

JFGLN

LawnSite Fanatic
I would never run a crew in this job market. Solo is the only way I could do this job these days.

It's not for everyone though. My wife works for the state, and I have healthcare through it. I also inherited a home that will serve as my retirement. I also have a college education that will land me a decent desk job if I get hurt.

Solo nets me about $1200-1500 a week for most of the year right now with 4 days mowing and one day for projects/catch up. Things die down in the winter, but I still stay pretty busy with projects.

Even if I downsized I would still always have an assistant. I really don't understand why you would not. If your out in the field working why not make more money.

cold-beer

LawnSite Senior Member
Even if I downsized I would still always have an assistant. I really don't understand why you would not. If your out in the field working why not make more money.
Because paying a decent worker $20 an hour sucks up all your profits when you're only grossing 400-500 a day. If a helper could increase my production by 50%, it would be worth it, but even a total badazz can't do that with the small properties I service in this part of the country. Add to this, adding another 5-10 properties a day would be a disaster the first time that helper flakes.

Bottom line, it's just not worth it. If I simply wanted to make more money, I would just go get a slimy 6 figure outside sales job and be done with all this. Truth is, I like getting paid to smoke weed and listen to music all day. Can't do that when you're someone's boss.

Top Forums