1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Going to give Opti-2 a try.

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by JayinKs, Sep 24, 2017.

1. JayinKs

JayinKs LawnSite Member

I have always used stihl oil in 2 stroke equipment and I've never had an equipment failure. But, just out of curiosity I'm going to try Opti2. The reason I guess is cuz when I bought my new TCII they recommended opti4 and gave me a bottle of Opti-mixer max fuel treatment. I have been using the Opti4 10w30 in my TCII . I know they are a dealer for the opti products but I began to do some searching on it and figured I'd try it.

2. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

I used opti for years in the early 2000s
    Thought they stopped making it as it seemed to disappear.

3. RedSox4Life

RedSox4Life LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I've used one gallon of opti2 one time.

I also blew up a $500 leaf blower during the time I was using that gallon. It's the only 2 stroke piece that I've ever had blow up in the 15~ years I've been doing this. (I currently own maybe 20 pieces of 2 stroke equip).

Now I highly doubt the oil was responsible, but I just have a mental block about opti2 now, and will never use it again.

4. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Fanatic

Jayinks. Post back with your findings after six months.

5. zraffz

zraffz LawnSite Member

I use el cheapo echo semi synthetic with built in fuel stabilizer. It's like $8 and treats 8 gallons I believe.

6. RedSox4Life

RedSox4Life LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I need to check my notes to be sure but I believe the gallon jugs of stihl oil end up costing about .50 per gallon of fuel.

7. JayinKs

JayinKs LawnSite Member

The Stihl full synthetic is $2.50 for a 1 gallon mix. The opti2 I bought was $27 for 34oz and treats 25gal.

8. DXN1EL

DXN1EL LawnSite Senior Member
    from TEXAS

Are you doing/thinking running it 100:1 sir?

9. zraffz

zraffz LawnSite Member

I'll be honest...
    I have noticed a black goo in the muffler from the echo oil that never happened with the Stihl oil. I haven't had any other negative side effects but I'm sure the exhaust valve looks similar.

10. Dirtscooter5

Dirtscooter5 LawnSite Member

watch your spark arrestor screen also, I wanted to run maxima 927 in my saws and weed eaters for the castor smell and after awhile I had a 241 stihl saw start running very poorly pulled the spark arrester screen and it was completely carboned over. cleaned it with a wire brush and it ran perfect again.

hort101 likes this.