Good for Business or Not?

Smallaxe

LawnSite Fanatic
The following is a little excerpt from a "One-Ap" brouchure... How many fertilizer guys would be willing to charge for Only One app for the whole season?
Being full maintenance it is fine for me, but is this good idea for your business?

"Less Labor••• Make one fertilizer application a season instead of
four, five or six—and save money on the labor associated with
multiple trips. Even if you don’t eliminate trips, you’ll save the time
and labor costs specifically associated with spreading fertilizer and
cleaning up hardscapes.
Less nitrogen ••• Use up to 40% less total nitrogen per year. Just
two to three pounds of nitrogen per 1,000 square feet is all you
need to keep turf lush, green, and healthy for six months or more.
Less clippings ••• Avoid growth flushes from the sudden release
of nitrogen typical of ordinary fertilizers. Use less fuel and save
money on mowing costs and clipping disposal.
More satisfied customers ••• Whether your customer is a demanding
homeowner, a commercial client, or the local soccer league, rest
assured you’ll get compliments about the great-looking turf."

fl-landscapes

LawnSite Silver Member
Still going to have to visit the property to scout or treat for weeds and insect as well as fungus and any other cultural issues that may need to be addressed. Think you could still justify going out to any property 4-6 times a season and enjoy the benefit of one apps controlled season long nitrogen release, avoid feast and famine fertilizing and they claim less nitrogen as well which must appeal to you?
Posted via Mobile Device

OP
S

Smallaxe

LawnSite Fanatic
I'm full service, so for me, I'll be around no matter what on a regular basis... I was curious about others and whether an additional Fall app would be used, so as to put off the One-Ap till late Spring or not...
Still have broad-leaf in June and October for spraying...

superintendent

LawnSite Senior Member
I did the SIFI on three of my commercials account and a soccer field that is fescue and they were the best ones all yr. I don't think homeowners are going to go for it even if you do show up 5 times or so and just spray for weeds. On the three accounts they all told me to do whatever I did this yr to do the same thing again next yr.

OP
S

Smallaxe

LawnSite Fanatic
I did the SIFI on three of my commercials account and a soccer field that is fescue and they were the best ones all yr. I don't think homeowners are going to go for it even if you do show up 5 times or so and just spray for weeds. On the three accounts they all told me to do whatever I did this yr to do the same thing again next yr.
Good to know...

So then, do you feel comfortable charging a little more for the One-Ap?
Did you do any additional Fall app to boost the turf for the winter?
How early did you apply in relation to the number of "Mows" in the Spring?

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC

LawnSite Bronze Member
I've been considering the product as well, and that's what I was curious about as well, seems like an early spring application would pretty much be depleted come fall/winter, and I have read it lasts 6 months or longer, based on several parameters but I would assume 6 months would be the standard, so more like a twice per year application would be more sufficient and practical?

OP
S

Smallaxe

LawnSite Fanatic
I've been considering the product as well, and that's what I was curious about as well, seems like an early spring application would pretty much be depleted come fall/winter, and I have read it lasts 6 months or longer, based on several parameters but I would assume 6 months would be the standard, so more like a twice per year application would be more sufficient and practical?
From what I understand it will depend largely on the amount of water that comes in during the 6 months of its active life... My thoughts are adding an adequate 'winterizer' app at the appropriate time in the Fall so that we could avoid the Early Spring app, therefore avoiding the the green growth surge that occurs at the expense of Springtime root development...

Of course here in Wisco, with the season being so short, it may be possible that the soil is still fertile in Sept/Oct that a 'winterizer' is completely unnecessary... Interesting concept... :)

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC

LawnSite Bronze Member
In my opinion, I wouldn't trust the application for a year long period, personally if I used the product I would use it as a round #1 application or early spring application, and then use my normal High-K fall/winter fertilizer to make it thru til early spring.

superintendent

LawnSite Senior Member
Honestly these yards looked great come fall and normally I would have fertilizes in sept but held off till oct. Next yr if they still look good in Oct I will not put down another app

OP
S

Smallaxe

LawnSite Fanatic
In my opinion, I wouldn't trust the application for a year long period, personally if I used the product I would use it as a round #1 application or early spring application, and then use my normal High-K fall/winter fertilizer to make it thru til early spring.
That's what I was thinking...