Good idea? Or common practice?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by ThyGentleman, Oct 18, 2017.

1. ThyGentleman

ThyGentleman LawnSite Member

Now with fall starting to act like fall in New York, it's time to start picking up these leaves on a few lawns.

My question is, right before I do a routine cut, should I blow the leaves onto the grass and suck them up into the mower and catch them, then dump the load into my truck?

That was my plan for the early fall cleanup process. Do you guys have any better ideas?

By the way, I have a Chevy Silverado with an 8ft bed, a blower, and was mostly planning on bagging them unless there are better ways to go about it.

2. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Chicago

I mulch the leaves up when I can. I do small lots and run out of turf to mulch them into so I'm stuck bagging and dragging. Try mulching them up first.

ThyGentleman likes this.
  3. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Fanatic

Mulch mowing leaves has many benefits. Saves you time and money and adds organic matter to the soil. Of course, too many leaves will impair turf growth. Find a happy medium.

4. rdfenn3

rdfenn3 LawnSite Member
    Male, from Akron NY

It all depends on mow much is on the lawn. If there are a lot we either blow them in to piles and remove. If the neighbors have theirs at the curb we do the same. A lot we make disappear in the woods

JRI Landscaping and RDALawns like this.