1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about enhanced efficiency fertilizers with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Dismiss Notice

Good Info about Oil.

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Precision, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Rotella syn 5w40 for the engine. Synthetic 20w50 for the hydros in your personal brand is fine. I like Mobil 1. Cheap and easy to get.

2. fb40dash5

fb40dash5 LawnSite Member

I must be bored on a Sunday night...

This "fact", is not, in fact. That is, unless you've got really low oil pressure past the filter. The bypass valve works on a pressure differential, not absolute pressure, it's bypassing based on the difference on the inlet & outlet pressures. So you could have 90psi and it'd still be filtering, provided it's not dropping more than about 10-15psi on the other side. Wix likes 8-11psi valves on a lot of filters, if your theory were true they probably wouldn't do anything on any engine any time except a hot idle... plenty of engine/oil combos will exceed that even hot.

3. ZX12R

ZX12R LawnSite Senior Member

I have used Mobil 1 full synthetic 10W30 for years in mowers. Recently switched to Mobil 1 full synthetic 0W40. Oil and filter changed every 50 hours.

4. Patriot Services

They recently came out with these 0W blends. They're only available in synthetic blends or full. My Tundras run 0w20 to maintain mileage and for proper operation of the VVT valve train components. The 0W40 is spec'd in many European cars and turbos. No harm in mowers. Rotella has a full synthetic 5w40 for diesels and works great in any truck or high performance engine.

5. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

Shell and Mobil have been using 0w blends for a few years now in Formula One engines. I can understand that, you need an oil that will flow in a 1.6 liter turbocharged v6. These little engines run at 15,000 rpms for there short lives, 6 to 10 hours

But would I put a 0w blend in a Briggs, Kohler or even a Kawasaki......:laugh:

JLSLLC likes this.
  6. Patriot Services

Since the winter viscosity is rated at 0 Celsius it's doubtful you would need it on a mower. However anybody that's had to pull start a bigger engine when cold would definitely appreciate the lighter cold viscosity. Back in my snow days 10w30 was a pain to pull over to blow snow.

7. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

Totally agree with you on that, you need an oil to flow like water when it's cold. It was 29F this morning when I went into the shop, here in South Jersey, 5w30 is good enough. I can not remember a time when it went blow 10F for more then a few days. But I can see a 0w where it stays cold, blow 0F like up in the Dakotas or Alaska.....

JLSLLC likes this.
  8. Kaioh

Kaioh LawnSite Member

OK, most important is (API) And weight of oil by temperature.. most mower as I know is SH, or SJ. Kohler XT8, Honda gxv160, predator 173cc, and other honda clone use 10w30, SH or SJ even in winter.. Kawasaki Fj180v use 10w40 and SH, SJ, SL or higher but will recommend SJ. Make sure it is high quality oil. Cheap or recycle oil are bad.

Then stihl trimmer, blower, chainsaw, and etc use ultra fully synthetic 2 cycle. Redmax equipments use premium 2 cycle, stihl ultra will work too. Don't buy cheap two cycle like Walmart, dollars store....

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  9. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I been reading this about oil. My question is though is there one oil for different engines or brand of equipment. I changed oil this morning in our bobcat, new Holland tractor and wacker loader. Engine spec book says different oil weight which I did as usual. Then there is the d-max engines which I use other stuff and weight of oil. What a pain. I want a 50 gallon drum of one oil. Is this possible. Now is worth running full synthetic is everything?

As far as filters, I buy WIX. There most common around here, usually auto parts store has what we need on hand and that is nice.

Also what about grease? I have a guy that wroks part itme for us that sells Amsoil. I have bought of his additives for engines and multi purpose grease but greasing a mower is way different than greasing heavy equipment.

Then you have hydrical oil. Mowers want this, skid needs that, new Holland tractors recommend yet another. Why? Possible again to just go all synthetic?

All my gear lube I am currently running Amsoil synthetic. We change that out once a year and that oil always looks nice. I have never tested it but just going on feel and looks of the oil.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

Bearsixty7 likes this.
  10. Patriot Services

One oil for all that isn't possible. Wix filters are a great brand. Always follow manufacturer specifics for oil rating and weight. Brand is a purely personal choice. I would stick with big names and avoid the cheaper ones. The base oil is usually ok. It's the additive packages that set them apart. I'm a fan of full synthetics. They last longer between changes and have better heat and shear tolerances. They also are created in a lab so they are a more pure stock. I'm currently running Amsoil 20w50 synthetic in all engines and hydros. I get it in 16 gallon drums. I am paying 620 to 650 which works out to about 10.50 a quart. I know that will blow some minds, however I've tested the oil to 350 hours with NO appreciable amount of degradation. That works out to a huge savings. Filters are changed every 50 hours as they aren't designed to go that long. I've had no engine failures. The Tundras get Penzoil Platinum 0w20 every 5000 miles, no problems there either. Grease I have narrowed down to one, Lucas Red n Tacky. Like the name says, it sticks great and being red you can see if it's fresh. I have tubs, tunes and a 120lb keg on a pneumatic gun. I haven't found an application where I couldn't use it. I know there are cheaper versions of all these products, but Im not penny wise and pound foolish about something this important. Hope this helps.

Bearsixty7 likes this.