Good Info about Oil.

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Precision, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

This is where me and Patriot will disagree. I can not see spending 10 dollars a quart when I can spend half that much and achive the same results. I do all the maintance to OEM specs.

Wix filters are great, keep on using them. I would be useing them, but the powers to be think that Fram are better, so to keep the peace, I use Fram. They do the job, I'll leave it t that.

I use Valvoline multi purpose grease for GM- Euro-Japanese vehicles. It's red, it's tacky, and it would not surprise me if it was not rebanded for Lucas.....It goes everywhere, from the gear heads on trimmers to the boom on the Bobcat 773 to the spindles on the walkbehinds to the spinners on the Salt Doggs to the dump lifts on the trucks. it works.....

When it comes to hydro systems, I always go with OEM specs. I know it's a PITA. Back in the day I used an aftermarket plow fluid in a Western plow. The stuff froze up in the lines. Lesson learned......

2. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Breeze- you really run conventional or even a blend 350 hours in an air-cooled engine? My point is 10 dollars a quart that lasts 3.5 times that of the 5 dollars a quart is very good economically. I think a lot of guys are still skittish of pushing synthetics to the WARRANTIED limits by the manufacturers.

3. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

Just so we are clear, I'll do the 1st oil change before the mower even leaves the shop. During the season our Exmarks will do some where between 530 and 550 hours, so that is 6 complete oil changes for the season.

Now, there is nothing about extending the maintenance in any of the OEM owner manuals that I have seen if you use Syn. So they expect that you are going to change the oil and filter as to their specs, Yes ?

So if I did it your way, one in the beginning of the season, then one At 350 hours, I would only do 2 complete oil changes. Yes ?

The last time I read a warranty on an engine was 4 or 5 years ago, then it was 1200 hours or 2 years for commercial use. Now if I did it your way on a new engine, I would have voided the warranty.

The information that the oil companies are putting out is for car and trucks, engines that will never run at 3600 rpms full time. I don't think you can transfer their data to a engine that for it's short life time will run WOT , every day.

If Syn was really that good, I would think that you could get 6, 7 and even 8,000 hours out of an engine if you changed the oil and filter every 100 hours smiley_emoticons_my2cents.gif

Have a Merry Christmas

TrainingWheels likes this.
  4. Patriot Services

I see your point. I haven't had any engine failures, so I'll just take that as luck. Like I said I've sent samples off for analysis, otherwise I wouldn't be doing it. You're correct that the manual never takes into account different oils. Probably because your average consumer has a hard enough time with just one schedule. Look at all the confusion over different weights for different temps. As far as warranty, the burden of proof lies with the manufacturer. If the oil tests good, warranty isn't voided. As for a longevity I point out Toyotas 20year 200k warranty and now GM has a LIFETIME power train warranty. The majority of the models specify synthetic or GM Dexos. Coincidence, maybe. I have an FB460V Kawi with over 5k hours and has been on synthetic since about 1200. Runs like new.

5. Patriot Services

Just reread your post. I wouldn't change syn every 100 hours, just the filter. They are still very fresh at 100. Most guys I know change their oil at 100 hours. Like I said I had mine tested at 350 and it was almost zero metallic content and still had additives present. No viscosity breakdown either.

TrainingWheels and hort101 like this.
  6. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i heard that on the radio about a lifetime powertrain warranty. that's crazy. what does that mean? you get a new engine and transmission if it ever goes out? you could basically never buy a car again. the body will last at least 50 years or more unless you drive in salt up north. down here we don't have salted roads in winter and i dont' live next to the ocean.

7. ZombieCutter

ZombieCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Lifetime means different things to different people.
    I'm sure there is a set hour limit or time limit on it.
    Or it's a local dealer doing it.
    chev.com has nothing on it.

8. Patriot Services

9. ZombieCutter

ZombieCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

I saw a few down south as well. It has to be a third party doing it.
    Still a great selling point on a new car.

10. Grass Hole

Grass Hole LawnSite Member

Shake it off