Lawn Care Forum banner

Good info RE: TDG Regulations for Ontario contractors

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  StratfordSealing 
#1 ·
Hi All. I called up Transport Canada this afternoon to ask a bunch of questions regarding placarding, licensing and proper transportation of oil based asphalt coating (BlackMac). The woman I spoke to was very helpful and I was amazed that I actually got to speak to a human. We were on the phone for a good 20 min and she followed up with the e-mail below. I thought I'd share this with you all here FYI. I knew there had been changes this year so I figured I should make sure everything is in order before the season starts. Pays to be informed and have proper documentation if you ever get stopped by MTO. Enjoy! :canadaflag:

Good day Matt,

As per our conversation, this is the website for the TDG Clear Language
Regulations: http://www.tc.gc.ca/tdg/clear/tofc.htm

The information concerning:

Shipping documents are in Part 3, article 3.5 and 3.6.

Safety Marks are in Part 4, article 4.15

Training is in Part 6

If you need information specifically for UN1999, do a search in Schedule

If you need additional information, you may speak with one of the TDG
inspectors at the Transport Canada office in Toronto: 416-973-9820

Regards,

Anne Champagne
Chemist- Emergency Response Advisor
CANUTEC - Transports Canada
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Tel.: (613) 992-4624
Fax: (613) 954-5101

See less See more
#3 ·
Well I haven't had a chance to read anything yet but as has always been the case, I need to be placarded. Placards are required for anything over 450L, UN code 1999 for flammable liquid/tar. Under 450L placards aren't mandatory but you still need the "sticker" which is about 3x3, is orange and has a flame on it. For documentation, you need to carry product MSDS sheets and the bill of lading or loading document. If the place you get yours from is like the place I get mine from, they give you a hand written receipt. Being a regulated product, you need to have the product, UN# and flashpoint on the BOL. I have current TDG and CPPI certification so I'm good there..... I also carry a spill kit with absorbent materials and have my fuel in bonded metal cans. I'll be calling the inspector in Toronto tomorrow to see if there's anything else.... I just want to know what to have ready if I get pulled over and inspected.

Anything I've missed?? If the inspector has anything interesting to say I'll post that too... :)

#5 ·
Kewl, Got all that covered, except the Canadian Petroleum Products Institute Cert., not sure why anyone would need that.

#6 ·
Well you don't need CPPI, I happen to have it because of the work I'm in.... that was irrelevant - sorry.

Looogie, you need an ABC extinguisher.
A - combustibles. Wood, paper, plastic
B - petroleum products
C - electrical fire

Make sure you get a 25Lber.... a 10 Lber only lasts a few seconds....

#8 ·
wow, I wish I never would have upgraded to a bigger tank last year. Does anyone actually know a place that can actually register your tank because I called marathon where I got the thing from and they cant even tell me who can. I also called the ministry but I just get a machine, Im really hoping Im not out 5grand from this when its all said and done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.