Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cut about 20 yards a week, 2 commercial rest residential, one is nearly 3 acres. I use a craftsman 42 inch LT1000, that is really a piece of sh**, and cuts poorly, is a walker good for me, will they handle rough terrain, etc., and don't they have an excellent cut???

·
Registered
214 Posts
From what I've read they do have an excellent quality of cut- but do you need to bag this property? If not I would venture to say it may not be worth paying for something like a Walker which has a specialty of bagging. These machines are really loved during spring and fall cleanups.

-Coop

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, i don't bag them now, but it seems this feature will be useful for leave pick-up in the fall, so is it worth it, if not what do you suggest?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Well for the most part during the summer you're not going to want to bag unless you have to. While yes during the fall this would shine, the rest of the year you might be lagging behind. One of biggest complaints I've heard from Walkers owners would be the speed of the machine. It sounds to me that you're only looking for the benefit of the bagging during the fall. I would suggest something like the Exmark Lazer or Lazer HP or you want to go ztr not wb and get the ultra vac setup for the fall. Its not limited for fall use as it can be used during the summer but at least me i wouldn't bag unless i had to. Just my $.02

-Coop

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
Walker has side discharge decks

The GHS system has an accesory that inserts into the catcher with the door up. We use the Walker without the insert for mulching. Also the Walker has a curb ramp accesory that doubles as a foot rest. Also the walker has a nice rake attachment for the front. Spring, rake out the debris and cut at the same time.

·
Registered
10,802 Posts
Green machine
For 3 Acres Get One of these, They Mow faster then 6 MPH.
John
Oh And Are less Expensive.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
145 Posts
Exmark is a pretty good mower BUT it all depends on how good of a dealer that you have. Becuase my Gravely dealer is the best out there. So i would go to all of the dealers and just try to get to know them i little bit and just go from there. The reason that i say get to know your dealer is that every mower puts out a lemon and you might get it and your dealer might not really care.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Go for the Hustler!

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
I own a Walker and have owned one since 98. It has been a great machine for me and has allowed me to do well in my market.
My wife and I mow about 15 acres a week in the form of 25 lawns. It takes us about 16 hours in lush spring growth and about 9 in the summer.
I use a 26EFI Walker with a 52SD deck in the summer and a 42GHS collection deck in the spring and fall. My wife uses a Toro 44" hydro WB and in the fall we switch to doubles and a mulch kit.
The Walker makes me money during the year by mowing but my big seasons are spring and fall cleans, that accounts for a great portion of income. A big Z would be nice, I have demoed many of them and I am really impressed with the quality of machines but I haven't had a chance to use them in the spring or fall. For production mowing a large Z beats a Walker hands down. It doesn't sound like you are very pressed for time.
I would say demo all the mowers that you can but remember that there are different seasons of mowing. What works best in the summer may not work best in the fall. You have to come to a compromise between what works most of the time for you and how much money you can spend. I paid for my Walker in 1 spring clean season and I am what many consider "part time".
I wish I had the money to buy one of each. Good Luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would buy a walker over a zero turn I have a 20hp walker and it dose a great job. I also have a 60 inch ferris and it dosen't bag to well. It may mow fast but dosen't do the job of the walker.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Originally posted by GLawncare
I would buy a walker over a zero turn I have a 20hp walker and it dose a great job. I also have a 60 inch ferris and it dosen't bag to well. It may mow fast but dosen't do the job of the walker.
Have you ever tried a 25 hp lazer???

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.