Good Morning, Valve Closing Question

Discussion in 'Professional Discussions' started by RhettMan, Feb 27, 2019.

1. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Gold Member

So on my installs, I always offer the option of a master valve and provide in the pros and cons to let the customer choose.

On existing systems, especially 20 years plus. We suggest master valves inCase you have a mainline break or start valve

We also suggest to have them on mainline leaks less than 100 Gallons a day, that are not leaking through the valve And the leak is not surfacing . We provided them the option acoustical leak detection room or a master valve, and in some cases both

In every case, we monitor the leak year to year. The water meter is completely tight with the master valve. We turn on a dummy zone y on with our remote, and you can watch the meter move

Outlawn likes this.
  2. OP
    OP
    RhettMan

RhettMan LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

I suppose I better use a controller then. I suppose specifically a pro c of the older face plate.

3. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

I would use a Toro IC
    [​IMG]

RhettMan likes this.
  4. magna111

magna111 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I hate that clock! It usually takes me most of the call to remember the sequence to operate it (combined with the buttons being temperamental and only registering half what I ask it to). And we only have about a half dozen or less in service so I usually forget again before I see the next one.

5. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

The fact that you have any operational is amazing!

6. magna111

magna111 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I’m working on getting them all out of there. Right now I can think of 3, but I’m sure there are a few others as well. 1 was giving me issues when we winterized and I suspect it will be a no go in the spring. The 2nd one when I winterized in 2017 the guy said he thought he would be open to replacing it the following spring, my dad started him up last year and he doesn’t push getting pita clocks out as hard as I did and it was still there when I winterized 2018. The 3rd one isn’t going anywhere until the current 90+ year old HO dies.

7. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Gold Member

There is that occasional system .. With that one last head .. that has some moss ontop of the head... that has slight amount of wet soil around the head... that if you walk up to the head and dry it before you ever turned on the zone and eventually the top of the head ozzes out the slightest amount of water.. That I know the zone valve for sure is leaking.. That the meter shows nothing... That I Totallllyy turn a blind eye and could care less and tell the customer all is well

:dancing: Sometimes there is bigger fish to fry

Delmarva Keith and Outlawn like this.
  8. OP
    OP
    RhettMan

from Texas

i just changed one of those, working, to a rachio g3. it was a beautiful installtion (im reffering to the IC 8) with electrical conduit and all. ill see if i can find some pics.

but, the user had to pull out the book everytime he wanted to use it, no good.

it was a speariment
    a speariment that rachio is ripping through like butter.

The best thing one could have done in the 90s is embrace the internet, because it was coming and it was coming for certain.
    I wasnt in business then, but if i were, say, a local retail merchant, i probably would have shunned, rather than spent my energy on using the coming internet to my advantage. If i know humans blindsided nature.

Rachio is here to stay and has a direct link of communication with its customers.
    I recon' those boys had better get some respect and get it quick.
    Cause there is no stopping those guys, now.
    They are here fellas.
    They are here to stay.

I only hope they never loose the humility and determineation to help the customer that got them to where they currently sit.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  9. OP
    OP
    RhettMan

from Texas

story of my life, but ill be here for a while i hope, so,

screw it, lets find out :), this is my form of playing retirement checkers

when did you say your fish fry was?

hort101 and Outlawn like this.
  10. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic