1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

good price for hydro walkbehind?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by quick, Jan 3, 2002.

1. quick

quick LawnSite Member

I found an older 48" Cub Cadet hydro walk behind for $1500. It has 495 hours on it, new gator blades, and runs great. Mechanically it's in good shape but it doesn't look too good. It was used for personal use and I think it was stored outdoors. I sure could use an opinion.:confused:

2. quick

quick LawnSite Member

How about the overall quality of Cub Cadet?

3. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

i've used a few cub commercials with great results.
    they are solid machines and cut very well.

4. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

Actually the cub comm.shouldn't be that old 2-3 years at the most.The commercial line is fairly new.Seems like a lot of hours for personal use(maybe its just me) . That mower is around 3200 brand new.1500 doesn't sound too bad. Always go with your gut instinct when buying something like this.The reason I say this is you said it looked rough.This may send out an alarm.Good luck. Quality on a cub will be decent and last a little while. If you're mowing 40-50 hours a week a scag or exmark might last longer.Just my two cents.

5. quick

quick LawnSite Member

Damn! The "Gut" is telling me it's a POS.

Thanks for the help.

BTW - A new Cub Cadet priced out for 4100 with tax.

6. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

I got my 48 mtd pro hydro 14 kawi fixed deck for 3000+tax in Oct. 2000. SORRY I always go with my initial gut feelings.

7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Walk away from it, put the $1500 toward a better mower.