Lawn Care Forum banner

good price on f250?

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Scandia Lawn Care 
#1 ·
well i looked at 2002 super duty dump truck with a 5.4liter 8 cyl. fuel injected 4x4 with 20,000 miles do yall think its worth $22,000

#5 ·
Thats a little priced too high it seems like its a gov't spec'ed truck with bare bones basic power (gutless) the truck probably has no frills either just a drivers seat and steering wheel.

If that truck is a true dually cab and chassis with a dumping flatdeck or mason box on it would be really painfull to drive being its low powered. You gross the truck to 12,000lbs or overloaded to say 14,000lbs you would be climbing the hills awfully slow.

If you are looking for a dump truck look for a F-350 with V-10 or diesel power or try find a F-450 with the same V-10 or PSD power. A V-10 isn't all that bad I know quite a few V-10 powered 450s they are a little better on fuel compared to the old EFI 460s. The PSDs are good but they do add to the price of the truck as for fuel economy they are not that great in a 450.

Keep searching you will find a truck that suits your needs :waving:

#6 ·
i did purchase the truck......with only low miles, and extremely clean and the plow hook ups already on it i coudlnt pass it up the heaviest i will haul is two cord of oak and i did that the other day with no problem. now im just going to get the western pro plus 9 footer to go on it

#9 ·
Gravel Rat said:
Thats a little priced too high it seems like its a gov't spec'ed truck with bare bones basic power (gutless) the truck probably has no frills either just a drivers seat and steering wheel.
Not to argue about the gutless aspect of ex-government owned vehicles, having worked for the government AND driving one such truck today, I suspect the power issue has more to do with delayed maintenance schedules as compared to 'basic power.' No offense, but in my case a 318 is a 318 and it may not have dual exhaust (one way to say it is basic) but the engine in general also has lower compression, that to me is a sign the oil is NOT changed every 3 thousand miles thou yes it did undergo regular maintenance, the question remains what the government definition of regular is (i.e.: change oil once every 50k or every 2 years?)

But yeah, ANY vehicle that is ex-government is a SLOW car, best driven with a light throttle as more throttle truly only consumes more fuel. Heeeee-yah, MULE.

#10 ·
What I meant is most gov't trucks are spec'ed bare bones basic with the smallest engine etc. The truck has to have the cheapest purchase price possible it is the way it is here in B.C. in some cases.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.