1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Good size Brush Cutting job

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jimbo, Aug 8, 2002.

1. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a job lined up to cut roughly 2 Acres of high weeds and brush. Normally I would cut it by hand, but this is a good sized area for that non-sense.
    I dont want to hassle with a big bush hog (hauling etc), so I am considering the purchase of a smaller walk-behind machine.
    Has anyone ever tried the Giant-Vac (GM2515AWV) with 15HP kawisaki and 25" cut?

Any other ideas?

I am willing to spend up to $3000.00 for the right machine.

Jim

2. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

You're going to cut 2 acres with 25" machine? How thick is the brush?

3. Jimbo

Tom-

The brush is not over the complete two acres as there are large sections with 3' high weeds. I could take my ZTR in with the blade at the highest setting (5") to take care of the weeds, but I dont want to hand trim all the sticker patches. I just dont want to break up my ZTR thats all.
    I really dont have a way to haul anything except on my 6X12 open trailer, so I cant buy or rent something too big.

Any ideas? This will be a big $$$$$ maker.

Jim

4. Lawn-Scapes

"big $$$$$".... Need help? :D

5. longviewlawncare

longviewlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

most places that rent tractors and bush hogs also rent trailers. I can get a trailer and bush hog for like 120 and trailer for like 50. Might want to look into that.

6. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

Yeah, but if you rent something will you be able to add that to your price? How much $ are we talking about? $200,$300 to do the job. If you could add bush hog rental to your bill then I would do that. Is this a one time cut? I am thinking definitely a bush hog because of the brush. A small tractor w/ bush hog or finish mower would fit in your trailer, but I don't think you can get a decent one for $3000.00.

7. Jimbo

Were talking about $900.00 to do the job. That cost would have to include any overhead (such as renting equipment). I quoted based on hand trimming the lot, and I figured on 8-9 hours at $100.00 hour. Hey that hand brush cutting is hard work!!

Once the initial cut is complete I will do bi-weekly or monthly maintenance. The goal would be to get everything cut clean enough to start using my ZTR.

This is a 13 Acre commercial (for sale) lot which they want to get the entrance open to attract more buyers. What I was shown might be a little more than 2 acres, but no more than 2.5.

Thanks
    Jim

P.S. So, no one has used one of those WB brush cutters?

8. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

i used a billy goat to blaze trails on a farm i worked at they are nice

9. Lawn-Scapes

Sub it to me.. I'll get it done (I'll use my Z) for say.. $750. You can keep the rest! ;)

10. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Find someone local with a bushhog to do the work. Sub it out and you collect the profit.