Good source of liquid iron

BaxtersEssentialLawnCare

LawnSite Senior Member
Anyone no of a good cost effective source of liquid iron. I want to look into a complete liquid program and I know greendoc does a progoram that is really his own custom mix. I was thinking maybe something like that. I just want to play on my yard for now maybe once I get it like i want I might offer as a second program.

Dave Stuart

LawnSite Member
Hello at Baxters,
Any liquid chelated iron will do, John Deere/ lesco has a good product. A chelated formula is best, this encapsulates the FE ( iron ) molecule in a larger ion and allows for a more steady distribution to the soil profile for plant uptake, it also keeps the capture by silicate clay & organic matter of this micro - nutrient to a minimum/ iron is a cation and has a positive charge, the clay and organic matter have negative charges that tie up the material.

Have fun, should work out nice and wow the clients!

Dave.
Posted via Mobile Device

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
If you have acid soil--you may have enough iron already. Do a few soil micronutrient tests for your area. Also....try a few gallons...to make sure there is actually a response. Use your own lawn and skip a few spots by laying an old fert bag over a spot or two. See if they show up yellow--and for how many weeks.

greendoctor

LawnSite Fanatic
As Riggle said, do some test patches in your own lawn first. You would also do well to draw soil tests. It is my opinion that a liquid program is not done justice unless it is used in the context of prescription fertilization. I am using what I do because certain deficiencies and excesses were highlighted via soil testing. Off the shelf granules would not properly address those issues. My iron and micronutrent formulations are usually powdered chelates that are ready to be tank mixed. Liquids have not proven to be stable or efficient to store. I would prefer to have a few bags that roll up and go into the trash vs cases of 21/2 gallon bottles or empty drums to deal with. Most of my raw materials are all dry and in 50 lb bags. It is truly a PITA to get rid of a lot of drums and bottles.

OP
B

BaxtersEssentialLawnCare

LawnSite Senior Member
Guys thanks for all the help. I will be pulling soil tests soon. Good to know about the liquid iron I actually looked at a liquid but thought I'd post here before ordering.

greendoctor

LawnSite Fanatic
Be very careful of iron sulfate that has been "complexed" with urea and sold as liquid iron. It is not a true chelate and is not stable in storage at all.