1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

Good time for first app of NPP 1-2-3 for NRS?

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by DA Quality Lawn & YS, May 13, 2012.

1. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Picked up some NPP 1-2-3 from ICT. Want to use it on 3 lawns infected with Necrotic Ring Spot. All three lawns had bad flare ups late last summer, and some of the frogeyes even remain up to now.

Looks like a good stretch of warm (70 deg +) weather this coming week. Lawns are not stressed now. Is it a good time to put down a preventative app of 1-2-3 NPP at this point? Soil temp looks to be 60 or so and likely to go up this week.
    OR
    Should I put down a curative rate of this product since there are active pathogens on each of these properties?

I would ask ICT Bill but cannot get ahold of him at all.

2. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

When I used NPP there was no preventative rate, just curative. If you feel the need to apply a preventative, I would say go ahead. Follow that up with an organic fert app (NPP is not nice to biology) and don't fertilize in the summer, as the N will help fuel the disease.

3. pieperlc

pieperlc LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

How do you plan to apply this? How many gal/k for carrier. I'm using some and wondering how the best way will be to get the product down into the soil?

4. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Fanatic

As per the label:
    Preventative rate; mix 2oz 1-2-3 NPP with 1 gal water to treat 1K. Apply every 14 days

Curative rate: mix 3oz 1-2-3 NPP with 1 gal water to treat 1K.

Other considerations:
    Do not irrigate for 4 hours if treating for tissue fungus.
    Irrigate with 1/4" to 1/2" water after application if treating for soil borne fungus.
    As Natty noted, follow up with a good soil inoculant and/or biologically active organic matter.

5. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Good information (some of which is on the label).
    So, for Necrotic RS, being a soil borne pathogen, the app really needs to be irrigated (rained or sprinkled) in, correct?

6. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, that is correct.

Other cultural methods such as aeration & proper irrigation should be part of the plan.