Good website builders/ questions

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by KUMA01, Sep 10, 2019.

1. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Platinum Member

Re: lead time, you want to get moving. A good agency is always busy, but your off-season makes the agencies even busier and lead times stretch the further we head towards November/December. One to two months is typical at the best of times.

I'm a proponent of shopping local, whether it be logo design work, business cards, or web marketing services. That said, you may not find a good fit, especially if you want someone that does know this industry inside and out.

The way I explain the difference is that the typical web agency/web dev may know nothing or almost everything about what you do. If you need help in the content department, do they understand seasonality of services and marketing campaigns? Do you have to walk them through what the heck dethatching or aeration is or do they know and can just be off and running.

I know people in this industry that have to spell everything out to their marketing agencies and I know others that can simply send a list of bullet points showing services and they're off and running, much as if it was their own, in-house web staff. That's the value proposition that comes from legit specialization.

In the end, it comes down to who does good looking work, while allowing for the level you want to participate it, and at a price you're comfortable with.

edit: added a bit about lead times to the beginning.

2. OP
    OP
    KUMA01

KUMA01 LawnSite Bronze Member

I cannot tell you how thankful iam for you giving me all this info. I’ll contact the three companies websites that I like and want to mimic (all of us sub work out to each other) and I’ll see who they use for there websites and ask what they did and didn’t like about them and if they could critique it what would they do.

3. Hayduke

Hayduke LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

I'm in the same boat right now finally putting together a website after many successful years in business. Luckily a family member has a small website design firm and has insisted I let her put it all together.
    One question I have is do you have to get permission from a client to post pics of your work on their property. My designer will probably have their input on this but just curious what Lawnsite members say about this.

4. Mudly

Mudly LawnSite Senior Member

If you can see it from public property there are no laws against it, absolutely unconstitutional for a law to stop you However they are your customers and it won’t hurt to ask. Be very careful with pictures taken on private property, seek permission in this case.

5. EverGrow Marketing

EverGrow Marketing Sponsor

Tony covered a lot of what really needs to be said here. But before you go out seeking a marketing agency or person to build out your site, you're going to need a domain name first.

And I don't recommend having the marketing agency "take care" of it for you. You need to own that domain name. I would also purchase it from a company like hover.com and skip getting one from GoDaddy. GoDaddy tends to put dumb domain locks on new purchases and line items things out like WHOIS privacy.

You can check out this post for when you're picking your website (domain) name as well as your domain registrar.
    https://evergrowmarketing.com/picking-the-best-domain-name/

6. kemco

kemco LawnSite Silver Member

Agreed with all this. Company we went with costs us $100 a month. That was with design built in and supposedly seo but then after the fact I was told it was just seo ready. I'm jumping ship any day. Heck may go to GoDaddy which is about $750 for the site then ,$30 a month .

7. EverGrow Marketing

I do not recommend this. You're going to put yourself in the same situation you were just in, just with a slightly larger upfront cost.

8. kemco

kemco LawnSite Silver Member

Really? Upfront $750 monthly $30. Breakeven first year. I'm all ears though. This is not my specialty.

9. EverGrow Marketing

Tony said it first, but if you're planning on spending less than $1,000 on a website, you're more than likely getting stiffed.

Can GoDaddy build you a good-looking site? Sure. But is it going to perform? Maybe. But I don't see how any web developer could build a good-looking site that performed well for only $750.

A $750 website to us developers is like a $20 mow to you. Sure, it gets the job done, but is it worth it?

The typical developer hourly rate is $100/hr. All I'm saying, is I don't want whoever builds my website to only spend 7.5 hours building my site from start to finish. Including the alt text, meta descriptions, image title tags, content, resizing and optimizing images, setting up links, and so on and so on.

10. Marshall's Yard Service

Marshall's Yard Service LawnSite Senior Member

What about buying a domain from Google Domains?