Good website builders/ questions

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by KUMA01, Sep 10, 2019.

1. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Platinum Member

Just gonna echo Evergrow because people need to follow this rule of thumb: Don't give money to GoDaddy. Especially don't give them money for anything beyond a domain name.

EverGrow Marketing likes this.
  2. Marshall's Yard Service

Marshall's Yard Service LawnSite Senior Member

What's bad about GoDaddy?

3. kemco

kemco LawnSite Silver Member

I would have been more comfortable paying $x for the design and knowing what I'm getting for $100 a month. Because I'm not getting anything for the $100 a month fee. Not talking about GoDaddy.

4. EverGrow Marketing

EverGrow Marketing Sponsor

Google Domain is a good one too. I don't have a lot of experience getting domains from Google as I exclusively get them through Hover.

This is a common tactic that "dev" or "marketing" companies do and it drives me crazy. Your website cost should always be an upfront cost.

5. tonygreek

I'm the king of the thousand word response, but in this instance, can I just go with "Take my word for it."? :) I've written about it may times over the last decade plus.

Constant, garbage upsells. Untrustworthy domain registration games. Difficulties and feet-dragging if you want to leave. Low price to get you in, prices get walked up from there. Junk, worthless SEO tools/automation that they've ripped millions of customers off with.

6. tonygreek

You're stealing my line? Not cool. lol ;)

In 20+ years of domain ownership, Google Domains is the best domain product I've ever used. When we started testing during their beta, it was a breath of fresh air, especially if you do a lot of G Suite integrations.

We began migrating from Hover and Namecheap not long after. Just an easier UI, at least to me, over Hover's, although I've heard that Hover has improved since then. The one button G Suite integrations, however, certainly tilted me in that direction.

If anything, Google Domains remains a good place to at least search for domain availability and name ideas. Not sure I recommend people do that on, say, GoDaddy or the small, discount resellers.

KUMA01 and EverGrow Marketing like this.
  7. Marshall's Yard Service

Sure, I'll take your word for it. I wasn't sure if you had specific reasons, and now I see that you do have at least several. Thanks!

tonygreek likes this.
  8. Marshall's Yard Service

I don't do G suite yet but I'm thinking about starting that in a couple years or so. I'll be buying a domain as soon as I get my Google Business account verified.

9. EverGrow Marketing

EverGrow Marketing Sponsor

I have no idea what other analogy could be made:D. $200 tree removals? lol

10. Hayduke

Hayduke LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

The domain name ( "my company name".com) that I've wanted for a few years was taken by an out of state business with the same name. One day while searching I found on GoDaddy that the exact domain name I wanted was now available. Seems the other company had gone out of business and did not renew. So I registered it for two years with GoDaddy. I plan on having an independent designer do the website construction. Now I wonder based on all of your comments about GoDaddy whether I made a bad decision.