Goodbye Stihl, Hello Maruyama!

Integrity-LC

LawnSite Member
Lately my Stihl KM94R that I use as my main trimmer has been pissing me right off. First off, from the start I have been disappointed with the power of it, always felt it to be pretty sluggish, especially in the low RPM range right where I am with most of my trimming. Lately however it has been a finicky POS, not wanting to start unless I open the gas cap and let gas spray all over the place and then also just running poorly in general. So I set out to find another light weight 20-25 cc dedicated trimmer. No Stihl, already have a KM130 for the heavy stuff, didn't want another Stihl 2 stroke, Echo 2620(T) is too heavy for its output (Ive run a couple of them, both versions) and I didn't care of the Redmax's Ive run. I stumbled across a recommendation on this site for Maruyama so I started digging and today I found the only dealer in the whole state that stocks them and demo'd one for a bit at the shop and left with a B27L Turbo. Man are these butter smooth! Its heavier than my Stihl 94 but a smidge lighter than the Echo 2620 and has way more snap to it. For anyone that has never tried one of these, do yourself a favor and demo one, if you can find one that is.

t2.jpg

t4.jpg

stihlfan05

LawnSite Bronze Member
Never ran those little Maruyamas. I’ve always been a 4mix guy, but my uncle has an old Maruyama BC260.

OP
Integrity-LC

Integrity-LC

LawnSite Member
Never ran those little Maruyamas. I’ve always been a 4mix guy, but my uncle has an old Maruyama BC260.

Nothing wrong with the 4 Mix, I was just looking for something lighter. I looked at the FS91 but it weighs the same as my KM130 beast. Ill keep that around for the heavy work, I love that thing.

Congrats!

Just replaced my 94 with a Shindaiwa t262.

I don't think I'm buying Stihl anything in the future.

I try not to be a fanboy, I do like Stihl and will still buy their stuff, I think their 4 Mix trimmers and awesome but just heavy. That 94 though was a let down. Oh well, cant win them all!

stihlfan05

LawnSite Bronze Member
Nothing wrong with the 4 Mix, I was just looking for something lighter. I looked at the FS91 but it weighs the same as my KM130 beast. Ill keep that around for the heavy work, I love that thing.

I try not to be a fanboy, I do like Stihl and will still buy their stuff, I think their 4 Mix trimmers and awesome but just heavy. That 94 though was a let down. Oh well, cant win them all!
If you want a Stihl 2 stroke the old FS80 and 85s were some of the best. Dad used to have an FS75 (same engine but curved shaft) and it was a great engine. My 91 is way more powerful but it’s also a lot heavier

dKoester

LawnSite Gold Member
Nothing is wrong with the unit except your not running it properly at higher throttle which is causing a carbon build up restricting the airflow of the machine.

OP
Integrity-LC

Integrity-LC

LawnSite Member
Nothing is wrong with the unit except your not running it properly at higher throttle which is causing a carbon build up restricting the airflow of the machine.

If you’re talking about my Stihl 94 there is not a lick of carbon build up in that engine, I keep track of that. Piston top and exhaust port are still shiny. Running good oil and fuel in a modern tool what you describe is a thing of the past.

Top Forums