Goodbye Stihl, Hello Maruyama!

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
Not once in my 45 years. Broke a few flex shafts but never rounded one. Makes me Leary of Stihl if that's a common problem with them.
I've used my FS90 for 10 years as a dedicated edger, but also for the pole pruner, power broom, hedger. etc, and I mean used it hard and a lot for that stuff. Never had the slightest issue with the shaft in it. Maybe the newer ones are worse? IDK, but mine has been fine

stihlfan05

LawnSite Bronze Member
I've used my FS90 for 10 years as a dedicated edger, but also for the pole pruner, power broom, hedger. etc, and I mean used it hard and a lot for that stuff. Never had the slightest issue with the shaft in it. Maybe the newer ones are worse? IDK, but mine has been fine
How does that 90 run the power broom and the pole saw? I might pick up those attachments but I need to know if the 90/91 can run them effectively

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
How does that 90 run the power broom and the pole saw? I might pick up those attachments but I need to know if the 90/91 can run them effectively
It runs them with relative ease. I just cut up a huge willow limb this week that was storm felled. It was about 18" in diameter and I never even fired up my chainsaw. The pole pruner with a sharp chain cut it up fairly quickly. It was very wet wood too. The limb was about 30-35 feet long.

stihlfan05

LawnSite Bronze Member
It runs them with relative ease. I just cut up a huge willow limb this week that was storm felled. It was about 18" in diameter and I never even fired up my chainsaw. The pole pruner with a sharp chain cut it up fairly quickly. It was very wet wood too. The limb was about 30-35 feet long.
I was worried about that because with the tiller, my old 91 would big down running it. I figured it’d be the same with the broom and the saw. My new 91 feels way different though, it never bogs down with the tiller, almost like it’s a 111

parker_horn

LawnSite Member
Given what you said, I'd stay with Stihl.
If you have a Maruyama dealer local they should be able to get parts.
slide a Maruyama or echo/shindaiawa in there, see how they do.

The don

LawnSite Member
your blower tube needs duct tape. do you just leave the gaping holes go
If i planned on using it as my main blower I would wrap it up. My main blower is in the bed of my truck cause its easier to pull it out use it put back on the truck then on the blower rack. Not going to use tape on that tube when I have a brand new one on order.

Top Forums