Goodbye Stihl, Hello Maruyama!

NolalawnLLC

LawnSite Member
I have heard good things about maruyama. I'm not sure if I'm just complacent but I have echo everything and the only think that made me look twice one time was the RM ebz8500 and then the 8010 came out. The only issue I have with any echo stuff is my 8010 is hard to start sometimes. Other than that I've never had any major problems or insufficient power or anything like that. Maybe I've been lucky not sure because I don't know anything different.

OP
Integrity-LC

Integrity-LC

LawnSite Member
I have heard good things about maruyama. I'm not sure if I'm just complacent but I have echo everything and the only think that made me look twice one time was the RM ebz8500 and then the 8010 came out. The only issue I have with any echo stuff is my 8010 is hard to start sometimes. Other than that I've never had any major problems or insufficient power or anything like that. Maybe I've been lucky not sure because I don't know anything different.

I dont have anything negative to say about Echo other than ergonomics for me. The 8010 blower is by far the most uncomfortable blower Ive ever put on my back. Solid machine though. The trimmers to me just feel unbalanced. Im sure they are good and reliable though. I have an Echo 2511T top handle chainsaw and I absolutely love it.

parker_horn

LawnSite Member
Husqvarna bought Redmax. And Dixon.
Echo bought Shindaiwa.
Stihl still sells FS94R’s. Straight 2 strokes. Guessing to get around EPA regulations. All their other models are 4 stroke blends. So to get a true 2 stroke, you get the 94, whether you want more power or not.
Getting the Maruyama today. Buying more oil than I’ll need, getting the 5 year warranty.

Eric502

LawnSite Senior Member
Husqvarna bought Redmax. And Dixon.
Echo bought Shindaiwa.
Stihl still sells FS94R’s. Straight 2 strokes. Guessing to get around EPA regulations. All their other models are 4 stroke blends. So to get a true 2 stroke, you get the 94, whether you want more power or not.
Getting the Maruyama today. Buying more oil than I’ll need, getting the 5 year warranty.
I prefer Saber to the yama oil.... but I did try it once and it seemed like really good quality 2 stroke oil. I did like it. at the time all I had to compare it to with much experience was Stihl brand oils.... which IMO did not work as well in my equipment as the yama oil did.

Eric502

LawnSite Senior Member
Saber is ok but i see it carries no JASO FD rating on the bottle that most equipment spec.
and probably never will. I am not diving into that fiasco, probably can't explain it all that good anyway. But Amsoil does not do any of those sort of specs. And that is whole can of worms in of it self.

I stayed away from Amsoil for over a decade because of it. I wanted the specs.... long story short... use what you want, what you like, and what works. If you want to use Amsoil or try it... don't let that hang you up. Cheers on the new purchase... love My yama blower and it has been trouble free.

parker_horn

LawnSite Member
The b27Lturbos Were gone. Read a few of ridingreens posts and convinced myself on the b27l.
took a day of buyers remorse to convince myself. If I go turbo/high torque it'll be the echo 3020t. 25cc ain't enough to go there.
the Stihl I want is a true 2 stroke fs94r. Just not in love with the rest of Stihl, nor the ability to buy parts on a trimmer---YOU MUST SEEVICE WITH US. High torque and ccs, I'm going Echo.
Maruyama b27l is a solid unit so far. 1 day.

Tn Turf

LawnSite Senior Member
I am looking for a different brand to use. I use Stihl FS111RX and love them, but start hard in 95+ degree weather and they are becoming too expensive at $389.

What I LOVE about them being so lightweight -to- power ratio. Stupid easy to fix and parts are so plentiful and cheap.

I buy about 20 shafts per year and get them for like $8 bucks. Takes 2 minutes to change it out. we run them without the shield, of course.

That said, my local dealership sucks at fixing them under warranty, because they know we abuse them. So warranty's are useless. I fix everything myself. Cheaper and faster than taking them in.

I am EXTREMELY interested in Maruyama. Another local dealer sells them, but again, they seem to be overpriced at like $400. 5 year commercial warranty is nice, but they'll probably deny any claims just like Stihl does.

We all run equipment without guards and I leave my stuff out in the weather, it gets rained on and water in the gas all the time, clutch springs constantly rusting out and breaking, recoil rope dry-rots and breaks. Gas cans are dirty with debris, but that's life when you're too busy making money and have no service downtime....

So I guess the question is how much are parts and how easy are they to get? Doing a quick search on sleazeBay, looks like parts are hard to find and what is available is extremely expensive with no aftermarket support.

Have you rounded a shaft yet?

Last edited:

Dawson

LawnSite Bronze Member
Have you rounded a shaft yet?

Not once in my 45 years. Broke a few flex shafts but never rounded one. Makes me Leary of Stihl if that's a common problem with them.

Top Forums