1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

    Dismiss Notice

Goofy names for the backflow preventer

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by DanaMac, Nov 23, 2003.

  1. DanaMac

    DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 13,187

    What names do your clients call the backflow preventer? They never get it right. Had one guy call yesterday because he hadn't turned of his water before this freeze, said his "pumper valve" was leaking.

    Also heard:
    pumper valve
    pressure valve
    bell thingy
    water meter
    bell housing
    vacuum sealer

    All I can think of right now
  2. NC_Irrigator

    NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC
    Messages: 1,444

    for the fiberglass backflow enclousures
    "that white box"
    "damm box"

    i'll think of some more
  3. greenworldh20

    greenworldh20 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 659

    my clients never asked what that thing is!!!

    actually, we have the plumber install all plumbing and backflow device before we arrive to install system, so he usually educates client.

  4. The Lawn Boy Pro

    The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,217

    Ive head "The brass headman" before.
  5. Black Water

    Black Water LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 250

    What's the difference between a Back-flow Preventer and a check valve?
  6. JimLewis

    JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 6,872

    Ummm. Wow. That's a pretty big question. It's kind of like asking, "What's the difference between a carburator and a V-8?" It's almost like the question is wrong. But I'll try to explain the relationship....

    "Check valve" is a term used to describe a valve that allows water to flow in only one direction.

    "Backflow Preventer" is a relatively generic and broad term. It's better to dissect that term a little and so we usually look at more specific terms like, "Backflow Prevention Assembly" or "Backflow Prevention Device"

    A "Backflow Prevention Device" is a device that is created specifically to prevent water from flowing backward. But it is limited in scope, use, reliability and it cannot be tested, which is important.

    The more comprehensive term, "Backflow Prevention Assembly" is a complete device used for preventing water from flowing backwards and meets certain industry standards, and includes two resilient sealed shutoff valves and test c0ck valves. Most Backflow Prevention Assemblies contain one or more "check valves" inside them. But the system itself is much more complex than just a simple "check valve"

    There are several types of BPAs. The most common include;

    Reduced Pressure Device
    Double Check Valve
    Pressure Vacuum Breaker

    It gets even more complex from there. There are two kinds of backflow; Backpressure and backsiphonage. And some Backflow Prevention Assemblies prevent BOTH types of backflow. Others only prevent backsiphonage. And to futher complicate matters, certain Backflow Prevention Assemblies are rated for low-health hazard situations and others cover high and low health hazard situations.

    There's more but I think what I've already written sufficiently answers your question.

    For anyone wanting to learn more, I highly recomend finding a Cross Connection Control Manual specific to your locale. It's an excellent resource and will teach you everything you need to know.

Share This Page