Google AdWords budget

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by RedSox4Life, Mar 27, 2019.

1. RedSox4Life

RedSox4Life LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I’m curious what other people who use this are spending daily or monthly? Most interested in similar sized companies......say $150-$300k annual sales. But anyone else obviously feel free to chime in.

2. EverGrow Marketing

EverGrow Marketing Sponsor

It greatly varies on a lot of factors. Your market, competitors, how structured your campaigns and adgroups are, etc.

If you're just starting out it's hard to put a number on it because it's easy to see awful results on an unoptimized campaign.

I've seen guys put $500/mo towards their Ads campaign and get no leads then hire guys who do it for a living (us) and only spend $100 and get 50 clicks and 10 leads from it.

A little Ads budget can go a long way if done right. A large ad budget can be blown through in little time if done wrong too.

If you're not getting good results with what you're doing, before you pump more money into it, look for ways to optimize your ad delivery. narrow the times your ads show and to what demographic. Add negative keywords to your ad campaigns (you should have more negative keywords than targeted keywords).

Check your bid strategy. I recommend automated bidding for first timers and guys that aren't monitoring campaigns every day or at least multiple times a week.

3. PKLIP

PKLIP LawnSite Member

It depends upon how much you want to grow. I spend several hundred dollars ($150-$300) per day this time of year, but average gaining 3-4 clients per day.

4. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

What’s a negative word?

We spend a $1000 a shot
    That can last 2 weeks to a month depending on clicks

You can tell when we run out of budget and have to reup.. the phones die off

PKLIP likes this.
  5. PKLIP

PKLIP LawnSite Member

"Free", "how-to", "ideas"

Those are the most obvious, just examples. I have several hundred negative keywords vs only a few actual keywords.

For example "paver patio ideas". With "paver patio" phrase match, "ideas" would eliminate this from showing the ad so you eliminate the people just surfing the web.

6. EverGrow Marketing

EverGrow Marketing Sponsor

If you're not paying attention to your negative keywords, you'll also pick up queries that use equipment type words vs service type words like "mower in {your city}" versus "mowing in {your city}".

You should have way more negative keywords than actual keywords in your ad groups. Google has a lot of free resources on running ad campaigns and understanding their interface including a free certification.

How are you blowing through your budget and having to "re-up"? Your budget should be spread throughout the month (total budget divided by 30.4 days). We have guys only spending $100 on ads throughout the whole month banking a $10 cost per lead (CPA).

If your campaign is being run correctly, you shouldn't really be able to tell when you "run out of budget".

7. PKLIP

PKLIP LawnSite Member

8. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

So you don’t get a click from people looking for a free paver patio or a patio idea for example?
    This not wasting your budget?
    Do I understand that right?

9. PKLIP

PKLIP LawnSite Member

Yes, exactly. If you go through your search terms, you will see exactly what people are searching for and the clicks you are paying for. You will be pretty surprised the odd combination of things people use to search.

When I first setup my campaign, I had tons of wasted clicks on irrelevant searches. I only do lawn care (fertilization/weed control) so it has to be pretty specific. My negative keywords include things like "mowing", "cleanup", "landscaping". People search things like "lawn care cleanup in xxxx". It includes my keyword (lawn care) but I don't want to show up for that since I don't do cleanups.

I also add the negative keywords of a lot of my competition, for example "Perfect cut lawn care in ..." I guess you could debate removing the competitor searches, but in my case, it has worked out. I feel like I waste very little clicks now.

jonthepain, TPendagast and Doc8406 like this.