1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

gooseneck or reg. hitch??help please

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cut4U, Aug 8, 2001.

1. cut4U

cut4U LawnSite Member

hello, i am expanding my bus. for next season and was wondering if i would be at an advantage at having a gooseneck hitch trailor other then haveing a std. hitch. i will be trailoring 2 ztrs and 1 walk behind or 1 ransomes 723 front mower and 2 walk behinds...any info is helpful...thanks

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Advantages of a Good neck trailer:

A Goose neck trailer puts the tongue weight on all 4 tires of the truck, compared to way behind the truck axle with a regular hitch. You can make sharper turns also.

Disadvantages of a Good neck trailer:

You can't put as much in the back of your truck, not a big deal normally.

3. cut4U

cut4U LawnSite Member

is it anyway easyr on the truck(havn a gooseneck)?

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

What kind of truck are you pulling these with? With what you described, you should have NO trouble fitting all your stuff on to a 16 or 18 ft. trailer. If this is the case, then I'd just go with a regular trailer. With a gooseneck, it's a bit more complicated to hook up, and I don't know how your laws are down there, but here in Michigan, to pull a gooseneck, you're required to have a Class A CDL, which means you take the written test, go to a third party tester to take a driving test, (a few hundred bucks) and then you have to have a physical to recieve your med slip. After all this, it's back to the Seceretary of State to pay your fee for your actual license. I think a ball and coupling work better.:rolleyes:

5. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

sounds to me like a regular hitch would suit you fine. unless you plan on hauling bigger machinery in the future, stick with the standard hitch.

6. eskals

eskals LawnSite Member

I didn't know you had to have a class A CDL to tow a gooseneck in MI. There is an outfit near me that runs a crew cab F-350 dually with a gooseneck trailer with 4 bobcat ZTRs and 2 bobcat walkbehinds.

Goosenecks are great for heavy loads. Much more stable and the weight is distributed better.

Eric

7. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

No CDL if trailer is rated under 10,001 lbs.

8. 1stclasslawns

1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member

A gooseneck is easier on the tow truck, easier to back, easier to pull, easier to manuver you can put a 20 footer where you could only put a 16' bumper trailer. Yes it a little more difficult to hook up but it is a more secure hookup.

When I get a new one I'm getting a gooseneck if I can.

And I think the weight is under 26000lbs befor you need a class A CDL. The weight dosent change state to state because a CDL follows federal regulations, its like a federal drivers license.

What girpes me about the CDL is I had to have one to drive a 1 ton delivery van but Mr, Rich Dude who spends 50 hours a year behind a desk can get in his $500,000.00 R.V. thats on a semi chassie with out one for 2 weeks and on weekends. But thats another story.

Jim

9. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

I recently found a few reg hitches that are rated for 10,000lbs and up to 12,000lbs from draw tite and reese.. Just a little side info..

10. cp

cp LawnSite Senior Member

With all said unless your going to be hauling large tractors or skid steers I would stay with the standard trailer. You should keep in mind that not everyone has a fifth wheel setup so if your truck breaks down your trailer is down and if you decide to sell, well "Joe Blow" can not pull it..