Got a new 5X8 trailer today for $150

OP
Hurryupelectric

Hurryupelectric

LawnSite Silver Member
Or you just buy the pressure treated lumber, throw it on there, never put any kind of sealant on it whatsoever and floor outlasts the trailer anyways....
So in that case I can install new boards now and have a safe trailer, then paint or stain over winter and not worry about the hidden spots I can’t get to. Kinda a shame though, I really liked how it looked like charcoal with black stain on the weathered wood.

Does the green tint on treated lumber fade eventually?

knox gsl

LawnSite Fanatic
So it’s way past time to do a new floor on this. I looked at some composite boards, I think generically called hardy plank. It’s either cheaper or very similar to regular wood board pricing. Opinions??

View attachment 457483
2x8 KDAT pressure treated would be my first choice

Crazy 4 grass

LawnSite Fanatic
As was said the green fades. In a year it would be impossible to differentiate green treat from regular lumber by looking at it. Both will get the weathered look.

In my opinion the absolute best way would be -

Buy pressure treated boards and let them dry 3plus months.

Coat all sides in diesel oil mixture, as many coats as they will absorb over a few days.

Install on trailer

Once a year give the top a refresh of the diesel oil mixture.

This will last for 20yrs probably.

Reason I said just throw the boards on and forget about it, is that it will still probably last ten years or more and by that time you'll have gotten a different trailer or not care you have to replace boards again.

Crazy 4 grass

LawnSite Fanatic
I built a 4by 8 trailer (primarily for personal errands) a number of yrs ago. At the time I cheaped out and used regular plywood not even green treat. I installed it and gave it one coat of used motor oil. That trailer floor is still in use and in good condition eight years later.

OP
Hurryupelectric

Hurryupelectric

LawnSite Silver Member
As was said the green fades. In a year it would be impossible to differentiate green treat from regular lumber by looking at it. Both will get the weathered look.

In my opinion the absolute best way would be -

Buy pressure treated boards and let them dry 3plus months.

Coat all sides in diesel oil mixture, as many coats as they will absorb over a few days.

Install on trailer

Once a year give the top a refresh of the diesel oil mixture.

This will last for 20yrs probably.

Reason I said just throw the boards on and forget about it, is that it will still probably last ten years or more and by that time you'll have gotten a different trailer or not care you have to replace boards again.
You know, you make a good point. I get wrapped up in doing things the bestest forever way when in reality I’m probably not gonna still be using a 5x8 in the timeframe where it actually matters.

OakNut

LawnSite Fanatic
The tendency to overthink things runs strong in this one.

LOL!
That's something someone posted (about me) in a thread I stared elsewhere when I was looking for advice on buying a used vehicle.
I tend to do the same thing. ;)

Top Forums