• Landscape Lighting Design: Bright Ideas
    With outdoor spaces more popular than ever, lighting these landscapes may be your next opportunity. Click here to learn more.

Got any good interview questions???

LB Landscaping

LawnSite Bronze Member
Interviewing an potential employee on Saturday, looking for ideas on some good questions. Got quite a few, just looking for some different perspectives.

bugspit

LawnSite Senior Member
You seem over qualified, why do you want this job?

crawdad

LawnSite Bronze Member
Tell me, briefly, why I should hire you instead of someone else.

OP
L

LB Landscaping

LawnSite Bronze Member
With the quality of help these days I was thinking about holding a mirror up to his mouth to see if it fogs up LOL. Hey Rich for $4.50 I'll come work for you!!!!!:laugh: :laugh:

NickN

LawnSite Bronze Member
"So,what cha wearing under that dress?"
OK,maybe not.Remember it's a landscaping job.You're not hiring a rocket scientist.Just ask them what their experience is in regards to landscaping.Do they have any problems working outdoors,in all types of weather?
How long were they at their last job?Why did they quit or were they laid off of fired?
What part of landscaping do they enjoy the most?

I would have asked them to either fill out an application or turn in a resume first though.Then you can get some idea of their background.The interview would then be used to see what kind of person they are.
Go light on them,but not too lightly.He/she is probably going to be a little nervous,so break the ice with a joke or something.Smile and be pleasant to them.

Zach76

LawnSite Member
My favorite interview question is "Would you rather be the best person on the worst team, or the worst person on the best team, and why?" To me there's not really a right or wrong answer, but you can learn a lot about the person by how they respond to the "why" portion of the question.