1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

Got bit in the rear by a referral

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Frontier-Lawn, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Got bit in the rear by a referral today. A client need some work i did not do so i gave the a name and # of a bizz acquaints of mine and he did not live up to what i said about the company, now i get a call today and they told me they got a new lawn company. Rule one never give out referral's unless your 1000% it wont come back on you in a bad way. Now i have to send the client a letter demanding a Cancellation fee sing they did not give me 30days written notice (gota love contracts).

2. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Did you try to explain to the customer that you referred this person and were unaware that their work was sub-standard? Just wondering.

I'd hope you give the sub a piece of your mind and make it clear you will never refer them again.

BTW, what type of work did they do?

3. srl28

srl28 LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats not too fair to just fire you because you gave a refferal that turned out poorly. Obviously if thats all it took for them to ditch you, they werent the best customers and were probably looking for an out. I dont know.

4. Frontier-Lawn

it was a full service client that the subs work was part of my package ps i had them for 2 years. and the son lives there and his the one the hired a new guy and the mom has the agreement with me and was the one that called me to let me know. i guess her son does not care if i have to take off the rest of the week due to my wifes emergentcy c-section!

5. Frontier-Lawn

just to let you know this is the 2nd time its hapened with a diff client for another reason for that one.