Lawn Care Forum banner

Got Family?

3K views 18 replies 17 participants last post by  Rhinox29 
#1 ·
I was wondering how involved your family members are with your business? Do you have your spouse, kids, cousins, brothers, etc. helping with the operation of your business? My wife is fairly supportive with me just as long as I don't dip into our personal funds.

#3 ·
In a word, "ABSOLUTELY!"

My wife is not only supportive, she is a member of the crew.
As far as children go, our two oldest boys were homeschooled and they would get out and mow as a part of their P.E. class.

I have hired people to work for me, but my sons can work circles around some of them. Family will always be more stable than someone hired from the outside.

#6 ·
nope, wife doesn't want to help out. She is afraid that she will mess up something and then I will take it out on her.

My mother on the other hand wants to do the bookkeeping, but I can't see myself letting my mom see my finanical information

#8 ·
I agree about others not appreciating the work as much as we do. Every time I walk through a green house or the lawn and garden section at local retailers it seems like I can't stop trying to smell the sweet smell of the fert., grass seed, flowers, pesticides, etc. I started my business out using the my last initial (but will change it soon to be more professional) and made it R & R. Customers always ask who the other R is and I tell them that it is my wife. She is the accountant...she spends all the money!

#11 ·
Neil@PLS said:
In a word, "ABSOLUTELY!"

My wife is not only supportive, she is a member of the crew.
As far as children go, our two oldest boys were homeschooled and they would get out and mow as a part of their P.E. class.

I have hired people to work for me, but my sons can work circles around some of them. Family will always be more stable than someone hired from the outside.
Man it sounds like you really have a great family! If you're a homeschooling parent you might be interested in this web-site -

http://www.nogreaterjoy.org

#12 ·
My oldest son is also homeschooled and he is my only employee. He does his schooling in the evenings and on days off. He started working with me part time when he was ten. Now he's with me full time and I pay him $9 per hour and he saves almost every penny of it. It's nice to keep the money in the family. I have two younger boys who will probably do the same when they get old enough. It's great to have your children with you to teach work ethic and other important things about life. Those that send their kids off to government schools every day really don't know what they are missing. My wife does most of the bookeeping and she is truly a helpmeet. She has the book that was mentioned on the no greater joy website.

#15 ·
My wife runs the office, answers the phone, does quotes, follow up, invoicing, makes all deposits, co-ordinates with CPA. My 13 yr old son sometimes comes along and is good with ztr and edger, however, struggles with the line trimmer and w/b mowers.

I have a hired assistant that helps with the mowing.

I have had bad experiances hiring other in-laws and family, so I wont do that again.

#17 ·
I pretty much do everything...the work, the paperwork, etc. (I think that's everything?) Now my sister in law last year was helping sometimes with mulching in the spring, then I got her to try mowing...she really kicks butt...sometimes she helps when I'm behind, she runs behind the mower literally :weightlifter: When she ditches the shirt and goes with just the shorts and sports bra, that's good for business and has also caused a few near traffic accidents :laugh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.