Got Gravely?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Greencuts518, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Greencuts518

Greencuts518 LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been recently searching for a used walk behind and keep seeing deals on the gravelys. Their are some dealers in the area and I know the name from a long time ago so I guess that says it all. But Scag is King around these parts so I've never seen or used a Gravely. So if you run them what do you think? Thanks in advance

2. Dawson

Dawson LawnSite Bronze Member

Nothing wrong with gravely, they make good commercial equipment. There are pros and cons to every brand and every model said brand makes, just have to research and determine what your needs are so you can pick what fits you best....often though you will be limited by what brands your preferred dealer carries. A good dealer\shop should be at or near the top of your priority list when deciding what to go with.

Quite often the most common brand in a area is due mostly to good dealer support for that brand.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    StanWilhite and Ridin' Green like this.
  3. Greencuts518

Gravely 1336 near me with 47 hours. super clean obviously...they only want $1300..doesn't that seem low?. Not sure of year yet waiting to hear back. He is second owner and claims he only put 7 hours on it and no longer has the room for it. Any thoughts?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  4. Dawson

Dawson LawnSite Bronze Member

It's a belt drive so probably went for somewhere in the 3 grand range when new. If it's in pretty much perfect condition then maybe but I would try to talk them down to 1000 or less if it were me. Just make sure it suites your needs...it's not a good deal if a hydro walk behind is what you need if you cut a lot of hilly properties with wet grass (belts slip easily when wet and the belts on a walk behind are right down in the grass on the wheel)

a Gravely 36-inch walk behind was the first mower I bought for my business 25 years ago. I think I paid about $2,500 for it at the time. It was a good machine and still worked fine when I sold it about 10 years later, of course by that time it was just my small gate mower. It wasn't much fun to use though when the grass was Dewey or wet and I had to go up a slight incline.

5. Greencuts518

He gave me the serial number and I am going to call a dealer today and see if we can figure out what year it is. He says he thinks it's a 2006?? Which makes 47 hours not to believable. Its super clean but he doesn't want to budge on price. One thing I noticed is it's got bigger tires then the scag walk behind. Wondering if they leave ruts?

6. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

If you love clumps and windrows by all means buy gravely.

zraffz likes this.
  7. Greencuts518

Thanks for the information. First negative thing I've heard about gravely. I'm not looking at it for another week so I will take all reviews into consideration before I make a purchase...because clumps s#ck

8. ProStreetCamaro

I have a 36G. More is fine but if it's slightly damp at all it's clump city.

9. Greencuts518

Do you have a grass catcher for it? Does it suck up the clumps or are you raking and blowing to disperse. My scag would clump up when it was damp and overgrown after a long rain but otherwise it was a great mower.

10. ProStreetCamaro

No bagger. It's so bad I only use it on hills and ditched. That's really the only reason we have it. It's a few years old now and only has 100 hours on it. Had one lawn to cut with it weekly but they dropped and started doing it themselves when the husband retired.

Bone dry minimal growth middle of summer it's fine but any other time it sucks. I use a big backpack to blow the clumps and debris around.