Got harrassed today by neighbor of lawn I applied to.....

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by DA Quality Lawn & YS, Sep 28, 2019.

1. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

Just smile and tell him that's cute as you go on with your day.

Ma&Pa and hal like this.
  2. jbturf

jbturf LawnSite Bronze Member

I’ve encountered similar issues over the years, unfortunately in my experience this will not be the last time he confronts you. I’ve often had to explain to the customer about the neighbor and often learn that these are trouble neighbors for the customer as well. It’s just not worth lost time and stress so I just drop account. Two tips, one be proactive an report the incident to ag inspector with your treatment records. Two if customer is really unruly just call police on spot. I’ve had to do so with a extreme nutty neighbor woman before, police showed up and woman went off swearing at cops and jumped in her car took off 100 mph cops in pursuit... some people are nuts, learned she was a known crazy. I never went back to that account. Gl

Ma&Pa likes this.
  3. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Fanatic

I've had encounters like this. I've learned that it is foolish to make any assumptions about what's going on in someone else's head. It's best to maintain a level head of your own. In my opinion you handled the situation well. In a case like this, you did the right thing by explaining what you ere applying and that you are properly trained and licensed to make the application. You did nothing to accelerate his reaction.
    Maybe next time something like this happens, let the person know you are sympathetic of his burning eyes and offer to call him before the next application so he has the option to be elsewhere that day.

Landgreen and sjessen like this.
  4. rclawn

rclawn LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn’t have told him anything. I agree with leaving quickly and you honestly handled it better than I would have. I would have taken a picture of him if he had taken one of me.

kemco likes this.
  5. Yatt

Yatt LawnSite Senior Member

Some people by their very nature are mighty unpleasant and that is being charitable. The important thing is not to give them any ammunition if and when they make a complaint. Make darn sure they aren't on the notification list and if they are civilly warn them ahead of time according to the law.

After an altercation like this I would give them your business card and say nothing further. ASAP write down your version of events as accurately as possible along with the time and date. Pics help too. Probably nothing will happen but in the event something does when asked, "how do you know that". You can answer, I wrote it down as soon as it happened.

FWIW, in a former life I was a Police Officer for 31 years.

zlandman, Ma&Pa, Landgreen and 3 others like this.
  6. Trees Too

Trees Too LawnSite Fanatic

This goof had no intention of engaging in a productive dialog with you, as he was simply pissed that you sprayed something adjacent to his yard. And therefore, he was obviously bound and determined to baffle you with grief because of what you just did. Even though you did everything correctly within the bounds of appropriate laws and regulations. There was nothing that you could have said to set things right with him.

As I said earlier, you are quite fortunate if this is the first time this type of negative interaction has happened to you with a wacky neighbor in over 10 years!

7. rippinryno

rippinryno LawnSite Bronze Member

You don't have to talk to him, but you also don't need to act like you're putting down some harmless chemical that can't have an affect on people. I don't like the attitude that this stuff can't get in the air and bother people, it can, read the labels, the stuff isn't water.

Listen, I am not a spray guy, and i know plenty of us here are. I've had to file 2 complaints on a local farmer for douching my garden and yard during his 2 rounds of spray in the early spring. 2 years in a row. The farmer and spray company hate me, just like you hate the neighbor.

You do not have the right, or the privilege to spray if the chemical is drifting into a neighbors area and bothering him.

The best thing to do would be to explain the guy what you're putting down, that you do it all day everyday, and that you are on label and legal. That's it. If the approach is anything like what some of these guys are saying, you're going to create a backlash. Ignoring, running away, or being a jerk after you've just treated a neighboring property, doesn't help. If he needs to file a complaint, tell him to call the dept or agriculture and go from there. In this case, he won't have anything on you so there is really no reason.

People have a good reason to be concerned about pesticide application, 50% of the guys applying here are beligerant.

I know organic farmers and they have a right to be able to eat their veggies without pesticides on them, if it's drifting, or if there's residual in the soil, they are advised to approach the applicator and get their info. Many of them have it so that nothing within a certain distance can be sprayed, and that can have an affect on neighboring properties.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
    Valk, Ma&Pa, phasthound and 2 others like this.
  8. Landgreen

Landgreen LawnSite Senior Member

Agreed. I've dealt with neighboring property owners who are claiming I am "poisoning the environment" or I have ruined their organic garden or my herbicide is going to kill a bunch of ducks in their pond. All of them tend to be a little emotional and agitated. It's difficult to be patient because I am automatically insulted by their ignorance. BUT I do my best to listen to them and be polite. I answer their questions honestly and give them time vent. Typically they chill out when they find out I'm not their enemy and willing to listen to them. I've given them labels of the product I use and tell them they are free to contact dept of ag knowing that I have done nothing wrong. I've never had them complain again. Also there is the fear of one of these people making an unjustified one star google review of my business. That's way too much power for the average jerk out there that wants to hurt a business for unsubstantiated reasons.

The worst thing to do is make the situation worse by running away. Maybe if they are absolutely looney toons which is always possible. And calling the cops on someone for being rude is ridiculous. It would have to be an extreme situation. Cops have better things to do.

hort101 and phasthound like this.
  9. smokeman450

smokeman450 LawnSite Member

After 36 years out there that's one part I won't miss.

hort101 likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I haven't heard anything more from this deal over the past few days and honestly I've moved way on.
    In summary, I tried to logically explain myself and what I applied to this guy. Pretty calmly, no swearing. All hard facts. He was a butthead and IMO did not seem like a stable individual. So that is when I quit trying to use logical facts on him and just got in my truck and left. Im sure he got online and tried to check my licensing, etc when I left and probably found I'm fully legal and that was the end of it.

hort101 and Trees Too like this.