Got harrassed today by neighbor of lawn I applied to.....

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by DA Quality Lawn & YS, Sep 28, 2019.

1. jonthepain

jonthepain LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Raleigh

I could be wrong, but I believe in some states, waving the arms while verbally threatening is considered assault (but obviously not battery.)

2. Trees Too

Trees Too LawnSite Fanatic

It's the "end of it" for now, until you have to go back to treat his neighbor's yard again. :realmad:
    (I'm presuming that this is a continuous customer.)

3. kemco

kemco LawnSite Silver Member

Only situation I had to diffuse years ago were three put bulls (a pack of you will) coming at me from around a corner. Not in a back yard. And I swear it was if they knew what a sidearm was. It was very odd especially with my adrenaline pumping and all. They scared the sheet out of me and they were meaning business. They stopped about 6ft away from me and turned around and left the yard I was on. Thankfully. I don't want to ever hurt anyone or anything. Sorry got off topic.

4. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Bronze Member

I had posted somewhere before on here, but I had a neighbor one time come cussing at me because he had just washed his car, and I dusted it all up. A) there was no sign of him when I was cutting, so I had no idea. B) that is not my problem, but if I saw a neighbor washing their car and I knew it was dusty, I may be nice enough to notice and talk to you about it to see if you want me to give you a moment to put it in the garage or something. But, does anyone really think it will end well when they come using every word in the book at us? Luckily by catching me off guard I took the high road. I basically said I am sorry but I have a job to do, but I really don't appreciate your attitude and I am not going to stand here and listen to this. He never came off the side walk into my customer's yard but I started walking towards him as I was talking back to him. He just threw up his hands and walked back to his garage. Wise choice.

I consider that kind of thing a personal threat as well and take it seriously. I am not putting up with anyone talking to be like a dog. He did say well you could at least knock on my door and let me know you are about to cut. Like what fantasy world are you living in? I don't get it. I am focused on my job and my customer. Not the neighbor's car in their driveway that may or may not be down wind from dust. Not that I am a butt. I would never do something like that on purpose. But how the heck am I to know it was just washed. Again, put it in the garage. Problem solved. I mean thinking I am gonna knock on your door if I see your car on the driveway. Must some strong drugs you on there man...

Mumblingboutmowers likes this.
  5. kemco

kemco LawnSite Silver Member

^^^ agree. If we dust a neighbor car whether or not it looks freshly washed we will blow it off well. Not just a quick once over. But that's all I can offer.

hort101 likes this.
  6. Steven Harnois

Steven Harnois LawnSite Member

One of the golden rules of survival is you don't mess with crazy. If you can make them think your crazy then you have a leg up on them.

hort101, Chilehead and kemco like this.
  7. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

Where I live, the local code defines what you just described as "vagrancy". Once they threaten bodily harm it does count as assault also. If such threats are unprovoked, then the charge is aggravated assault.

8. Mumblingboutmowers

Mumblingboutmowers LawnSite Senior Member

I understand that you mean well by doing this, but if I saw someone waving a blower around my vehicle I think that may bother me if I didn't understand what was going on. I would think, what the heck is that guy doing to my vehicle and what did he shoot all over it that caused it to need blown off. I can see that escalating quicker than someone finding some dust on their car.

9. OP
    OP
    DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I have emailed my customer about this. If we both feel it's best to just cease service due to a volatile neighbor, I don't have a problem with that. Then my to-be former customer can rail at his dip-shat neighbor for making him cancel quality service he liked.

jonthepain likes this.
  10. Mumblingboutmowers

Mumblingboutmowers LawnSite Senior Member

Being the jerk that I am it would be hard for me to resist going back and "suiting up" and putting on one of those large breathing protection masks to make it look like I am spraying some really toxic stuff. Then when the neighbor comes out you can tell him that you brought the "good stuff" this time, "just don't get any on you and definitely don't breath it". One of my friends and I were going to pull a skit like this on a mean neighbor lady one day. lol.