Got Hit Hard Last Night

Discussion in 'Stolen Equipment' started by lawnspecialties, Oct 1, 2018.

1. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

From what the sheriff's investigation believes, they pulled down my driveway to my equipment barn. Pried the front barn door up until it reached the locking mechanism. That's about 8"-10". Someone slid underneath and crawled to the front door so the motion detectors didn't see them. They shut off all the breaker switches by the front door so everything went dark. Then they manually opened the back barn door and robbed me blind.

After they unloaded the two Gravely 260s from the trailer, the two trimmers, one edger, three blowers, two hedge trimmers, a Stihl Kombi-130, two chain saws, and rolled out my new Little Wonder blower, they unhooked the trailer and pushed my trailer out the back door. With the trailer out of the way, they got my 2014 Polaris Sportsman 850. I use it primarily for snow plowing and it was in mint condition. Only had a little over 50 hours.

Oh well. My Husky dealer should have almost everything replaced by tomorrow and my Gravely dealer is working feverishly to find me two new 260s. Right now, I can't even cut my own yard.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  2. Greencuts518

Greencuts518 LawnSite Gold Member

Sorry, my man. Insured hopefully.

hort101 likes this.
  3. MNLawns

MNLawns LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from MN

motion sensors for a security system or lights?

4. Todd73

Todd73 LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Florida

Seems like someone was awfully familiar with your set up. Any disgruntled former employees?

5. MNLawns

MNLawns LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from MN

was thinking the same thing...

6. Todd73

Todd73 LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Florida

This clearly wasn’t a random burglary of chance. They definitely were prepared to hit him specifically.

But never fear. The Wake County Sheriff’s department is on the case! ;)

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    BrandonV, hort101 and Greencuts518 like this.
  7. lawnspecialties

Sheriff's dept. has been great. Got CCBI out here taking fingerprints and pictures. But in all honesty, now that its done, catch the guys but I don't want the stuff back. Insurance company so far has been cool. Since most of my stuff is less than five years old, I get full replacement value for that.

So all new mowers, ATV, and the majority of my handheld stuff.

By the way. This afternoon I figured out how they got everything hauled off. My large trailer that stays at the back with the big Gorilla padlock is gone! Dang! You can see the tracks as they pulled away.

LOTS of paperwork and receipt tracking to write down. But I should have minimal equipment by tomorrow afternoon. Enough to get me going for a few days.

By the way. Haven't had employees for years. Sheriff said these guys definitely knew what they were doing. Another guy near here someone tried to rob that same night but the alarm went off. My alarm is old and appears the battery was dead. So once the power was cut, it died, too.

I ordered a new SimpliSafe system this afternoon.

Mownmachine144, Todd73 and hort101 like this.
  8. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

At least you got replacement equipment quick
    Good luck with your new stuff

Hope they catch the sobs

9. curleelawncare

curleelawncare LawnSite Member

Man that sucks. I live near Garner and have been hit before myself. Please let me know if I can help in any way.

hort101 likes this.
  10. lawnspecialties

Just keep your stuff locked up tight. Supposedly they've been fairly active lately. I found out last night another guy just a couple miles away got hit a few days before and Hudson's Hardware (my Husqvarna dealer) in Clayton got hit Friday night.

hort101 likes this.