Got my DOT numbers, oh my.

TMlawncare

LawnSite Bronze Member
Well with all the regulation and crackdown and us being located way to close to three bordering states, we got our dot numbers. Ok, first you have to get med cards for all your drivers, $75/each. You have to get triangles, fire ext, spare fuses for each truck. Expect to pay around $75 to outfit each truck plus another $30 or so for your numbers, it you have them printed for each truck.
Ok now the fun starts. My trailer I bought back in 2001 does not have a battery powered breakaway kit or dual axle trailer brakes. It goes in next week to get upgraded. For the brakes and breakaway is $375 installed plus another $200 for a brake controller for my truck. Who would have thought a late mode chevy one ton with tow package does not have a built in brake controller? Also our Isuzu has to have an E track or recessed d rings installed in the bed for cargo securement as does our trailer. The installation and parts cost $225 for the Isuzu and $175 for the trailer.
You also have to keep a driver qualification file for each employee. You have to keep a vehicle maintenance file for each vehicle. For that you have to do daily inspections each day before you drive and after. You must keep these in you file in the truck at all times. Plus there are also periodic and annual inspections as well. You also need a log exemption forum if you travel less then 150 mile radius. You and all you drivers have to fill this out daily just like your daily inspection log. You must keep the last 7 days log in your truck at all times. If you travel past 150 miles you must keep a log book.

Just found out it have to pay both 2011 and 2012 unified carrior registration fees (ucr fee). Thats another $152. Also as part of the driver qualification file all drives have to take a road test and have atleast a chauffeur license. Thats a class E in Missouri. We also have a saftey inspection in the next 18 months that will take between 2-4 hours.

Btw, the issuing of the dot numbers is free,lol. Seems like everytime I turn around something is going to cost money. If I was over 26000 and needed a cdl, its much worse.

orangemower

LawnSite Silver Member
You listed all the reasons I keep my CGVW under the federal limit of 10,001lbs. Obviously you're in a different state but fed guidelines are for ALL states. I'll keep it simple and not worry or dump a ton of money to be compliant and just stay under the max allowed combined weight. Good luck.

djagusch

LawnSite Platinum Member
You listed all the reasons I keep my CGVW under the federal limit of 10,001lbs. Obviously you're in a different state but fed guidelines are for ALL states. I'll keep it simple and not worry or dump a ton of money to be compliant and just stay under the max allowed combined weight. Good luck.
If you plow, most need a 3/4 ton or larger to handle the plow. Combine any 3/4 truck built in the 2000's or newer, with a single axle trailer you are over 10,001 lbs. We don't have much choice.

To the OP. I went through this 3 yrs ago. Figure out a system to maintain the records. The first visit I had was pretty laid back, just letting us know what we needed. Also I don't need to write a inspection log if your under that 150 mile arial circle. Still need to do it but not written. I cross state lines so I also following the federal reg.
Posted via Mobile Device

OP
T

TMlawncare

LawnSite Bronze Member
There are companies like Keller and Foley carrior services that will help you keep in compliance. They have a organizer for different size carriors that lists everything you need. The only problem is the expense. I am using foley and spent $330 on the organzier and another $100 on the different forms. It is very difficult to try to figure it out since the book is 6-700 pages of legal talk and the website links to several 1000 pages. I think even when you believe you are in compliance, one different interpretation will get you fined.

Richard Martin

LawnSite Fanatic
Obviously you're in a different state but fed guidelines are for ALL states.
Federal guidelines don't apply to any one state. They only apply if you cross state borders. The states may apply the guidelines as they see fit.

North Carolina doesn't even require heavy vehicles to have DOT numbers. If you cross a state border and enter NC then the Federal DOT laws apply.

orangemower

LawnSite Silver Member
Federal guidelines don't apply to any one state. They only apply if you cross state borders. The states may apply the guidelines as they see fit.

North Carolina doesn't even require heavy vehicles to have DOT numbers. If you cross a state border and enter NC then the Federal DOT laws apply.
That is correct Richard. I left out a little info. I posted earlier that Pa. law says it can be up to 17k CGVW before DOT has to step in but if crossing a state line out of Pa into a joining state it drops to 10,001. Thanks for clearing that up.

djagusch

LawnSite Platinum Member
There are companies like Keller and Foley carrior services that will help you keep in compliance. They have a organizer for different size carriors that lists everything you need. The only problem is the expense. I am using foley and spent $330 on the organzier and another $100 on the different forms. It is very difficult to try to figure it out since the book is 6-700 pages of legal talk and the website links to several 1000 pages. I think even when you believe you are in compliance, one different interpretation will get you fined.
I did it on my own. At the mn green expo they hand out a landscaper rules of the road packet that works for the state and also points out what federal laws are different. With this I had everything for the intial inspection besides my own driving record, which I knew I didn't have.

I would say a person could get everything done on one day off besides vehicle inspections and a doctors visit.
Posted via Mobile Device

orangemower

LawnSite Silver Member
If you plow, most need a 3/4 ton or larger to handle the plow. Combine any 3/4 truck built in the 2000's or newer, with a single axle trailer you are over 10,001 lbs. We don't have much choice.
I do snow plowing but I use a atv so I don't have to worry about it.
Even older 3/4 ton trucks are well over 6500lb GVW. Actually, ANY 3/4 ton truck is going to be to heavy with a single axle trailer to be clear of the DOT. So yes, that would put you over the maximum of 10,001lbs. I went out to buy a new to me truck this past spring and found a nice Chevy 2500HD. When I checked the sticker it was rated at 9200 GVW. I had to pass and go with a different truck. The one I finally bought was a 2001 F150 with a CGVW (truck and load it can carry) of 6500lbs. My trailer is rated at 3500lbs CGVW so I'm able to go anywhere in any state and work without having to be DOT compliant, ie; log book, flares and all that stuff. They go by the sticker on the truck and trailer and add them together to get the CGVW. One day I'm going to weight my mowing rig as a whole and see where it's at on the scale. According to the specs on the mowers that I carry, I'm still under the max rating on the trailer.

Kelly's Landscaping

LawnSite Platinum Member
Checked my state's site found this on the fed DOT last updated in 2010

Effective January 1 2003 All Intrastate operators of commercial motor vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) or gross combination weight rating (GCWR) or gross vehicle weight (GVW) or gross combination weight of 10,001 pounds or more domiciled in the following states must now secure and display a USDOT number: Alabama, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Ohio, Oregon, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, West Virginia & Wisconsin.

So 17 of the 50 states have this who would of thought I would find a reason to love my state. I'm 25,900 pounds with my trailer and don't have to go through this crap that small trucks and trailers do in those states. Also we have a reason here to be over 10,000 gvw anything less you have to go through emissions.

Now that stated commercial motor vehicles and I am guessing that means commercial plates. But here on picks ups you can have either commercial or combination plates. I wonder do the dot rules apply for combination plates as well in these states?

djagusch

LawnSite Platinum Member
I do snow plowing but I use a atv so I don't have to worry about it.
Even older 3/4 ton trucks are well over 6500lb GVW. Actually, ANY 3/4 ton truck is going to be to heavy with a single axle trailer to be clear of the DOT. So yes, that would put you over the maximum of 10,001lbs. I went out to buy a new to me truck this past spring and found a nice Chevy 2500HD. When I checked the sticker it was rated at 9200 GVW. I had to pass and go with a different truck. The one I finally bought was a 2001 F150 with a CGVW (truck and load it can carry) of 6500lbs. My trailer is rated at 3500lbs CGVW so I'm able to go anywhere in any state and work without having to be DOT compliant, ie; log book, flares and all that stuff. They go by the sticker on the truck and trailer and add them together to get the CGVW. One day I'm going to weight my mowing rig as a whole and see where it's at on the scale. According to the specs on the mowers that I carry, I'm still under the max rating on the trailer.
I understand what you did and why. I posted the 2000 and newer because I know their ratings, but not the older stuff.

I can't plow over 100 townhomes, 20 resi's, and multi commerical sites with even a fleet of 4 wheelers. I run two 3/4 trucks to get it done.

I think your avoiding the invetable with the dot if your company grows (if you cross state lines or in a state with dot laws). I decided to learn how to work with the rules instead of avoiding them.

Do you offer weed control/fert or decided not to do it because of the law)

The dot thing with 2 trucks and 2 trailers cost under $500 a year to maintain inspections, etc. Not much in my opinion.
Posted via Mobile Device