Got my first soil test, where do I start

nickmell

LawnSite Member
Finally got around to getting my first soil test to start improving my yard and am not really sure where to start. I'm in zone 5b and have roughly 3 acres I'm working to turn into a decent lawn. It was old pasture land so it's a mix of different grasses and weeds but I've been mowing it for 2 years now so it's getting alot better.

Attachments

Crazy 4 grass

LawnSite Fanatic
What has your maintenance program currently been? Have you been fertilizing? Have you been spraying for weeds? Have you been putting down any sort of crabgrass pre-emergent in the spring?

If the answer is no to all these questions here is what I would do.

I would immediately put down a first application of granular fertilizer with dimension crabgrass pre-emergent. This will thicken things up and prevent crabgrass.

I just did this application to my own yard this week I am mowing about 2 Acres.

Next I would get a tow behind sprayer and spray the entire lawn with T-Zone. This will clear out all of the broadleaf weed competition.

In September I would plan to overseed the entire lawn. If you do not have irrigation try to time this before a rain on the forecast.

Put down a fertilizer application with the overseed and then another fertilizer application about a month later in October.

Follow this exact program for the next two years and you will be blown away

OP
N

nickmell

LawnSite Member
What has your maintenance program currently been? Have you been fertilizing? Have you been spraying for weeds? Have you been putting down any sort of crabgrass pre-emergent in the spring?

If the answer is no to all these questions here is what I would do.

I would immediately put down a first application of granular fertilizer with dimension crabgrass pre-emergent. This will thicken things up and prevent crabgrass.

I just did this application to my own yard this week I am mowing about 2 Acres.

Next I would get a tow behind sprayer and spray the entire lawn with T-Zone. This will clear out all of the broadleaf weed competition.

In September I would plan to overseed the entire lawn. If you do not have irrigation try to time this before a rain on the forecast.
I have don't nothing except now it as I have been build my house so I haven't messed with the lawn, I've been looking at doing a preemergent but I am still filling in some holes and dips throughout the area and wasnt sure if the pre emergent would come up through the new soil and kill and seed I plant or if I should wait and do a post emergent. I have been reading alot but there is so much information it becomes overwhelming. I just found out my neighbor has a large pull behind sprayer so I can do either. Should I put down some lime now to start bringing the ph up? And is there a mix of fertilizer you would recommend to put on now and at what quanity, I'll be buying in bulk from southern states.
Thanks for the reply and Sorry for all the questions, I'm trying to learn.

Crazy 4 grass

LawnSite Fanatic
Leveling and seeding happen in the fall. You do not want to seed in the spring. Go get fertilizer with pre-emergent and put it down and then follow the rest of the program.

OP
N

nickmell

LawnSite Member
That's what I was thinking also, I just have to find an in stock spreader since it's hay season and every one has them rented out for a while.

OP
N

nickmell

LawnSite Member
Honestly I can't determine the grass types, I've looks at multiple guides and they mostly all look the same to me, especially since it is just starting to green up and grow (it was 14°f here last Thursday). I will try to get a good look at it in the next week or two when it gets taller and see if I can make some kind of Id. I built on farm land that is half hay Fields and half pasture and I know in the fields I have seen pretty well every grass in this link http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/livestock/beef/facts/06-095.htm

As far as soil goes it's as much rock as dirt. Its very close to 50% crushed up sand stone with some sandy clay mixed in. I'm in garret county Md in the hills of the appalachians so lots of rock. I know I'm never going to have a perfect yard, but I take pride in what I have and want to improve it the best I can.