Got the insurance and three clients, now how about this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hurryupelectric

LawnSite Silver Member
That’s pretty funny.

Most people who start a mowing business, mowed their own lawn as a homeowner at some point. You can pretty it up however you like, fact remains, a homeowner who wants to cut lawns on the side as business or start a full time business, can at any point as long as they have a mower.

Tell me why they can’t compete tomorrow against another mow only business?
I was taking other lco’s business with my old beat up Lawnboy 21” in the back of my Rav4. Then I decided to go big time and carry a new hrx217 in my cargo area and took more. Very true statement here.

Mello Living

LawnSite Member
I am glad that so many people show me in such short order why they deserve to get the ignore-hammer.

Flashsmith, thanks for not being one. You may not be aware that I'm only looking at this lawn-mowing thing as a temporary gig, for two reasons: 1) I'd really rather get back to what I used to do before COVID was allowed to ravage this country, 2) I don't see myself living in this area for a particularly long time. It may be only a couple more years. (However, I'm not closed off to the idea of doing this type of work wherever I end up after this.)

You said that your best customers came not through an ad or website - from where did they come?
I think you are on the right track to make some extra $$ . And yes most of these guys deserve the "ignore hammer " . My fav (not) is calling you a "low baller " . Like all these guys get jobs by bidding more than the competition . Low bidder does not always get the job because they might be so low customers figure they can't do a good job at that price .But low bid wins way more times than not .

Cut n Strut

LawnSite Gold Member
Guys on track to embarrass themselves more in real life than they've already done here. Selling work when you don't even have a leaf blower?? Oy, what else does this not so humble person need to learn about mowing lawns :dizzy:

That’s nothing. I started with an old beat up push mower, borrowed craftsman ztr, troy bilt curved shaft and a broom.

Night and day from then to now but this is a guy starting up who has admitted he probably won’t do this for a long time.

If this discussion is pointless, then they might as well shut down lmoth, politics, off topic, etc. Heck just shut down the entire site seeing how lawnsite is a forum for lawn professionals. The most popular topics aren’t about lawn businesses are they?

Mark Stark

LawnSite Fanatic
That’s nothing. I started with an old beat up push mower, borrowed craftsman ztr, troy bilt curved shaft and a broom.

Night and day from then to now but this is a guy starting up who has admitted he probably won’t do this for a long time.

If this discussion is pointless, then they might as well shut down lmoth, politics, off topic, etc. Heck just shut down the entire site seeing how lawnsite is a forum for lawn professionals. The most popular topics aren’t about lawn businesses are they?
The discussion is pointless in that like soooooooo many posts from new members, the OP has hardly engaged in conversation, has arrived with a predetermined opinion that seems inflexible, and doesn't plan on doing this for very long at all.

It's not pointless because it's a part time side thing. Or because it's someone with limited resources for commercial equipment. I've helped lots of people like that. I'm afraid that you may have missed my broader point is all. Hopefully this post helps to clarify my position.

Cut n Strut

LawnSite Gold Member
The discussion is pointless in that like soooooooo many posts from new members, the OP has hardly engaged in conversation, has arrived with a predetermined opinion that seems inflexible, and doesn't plan on doing this for very long at all.

It's not pointless because it's a part time side thing. Or because it's someone with limited resources for commercial equipment. I've helped lots of people like that. I'm afraid that you may have missed my broader point is all. Hopefully this post helps to clarify my position.

I see your point clearly but it’s a discussion that involves differentiating opinions by people in the industry. Just because this OP or others never return, the discussion isn’t just viewable or helpful to only them, it’s viewable/helpful to others who might not even be members on this site but are dabbling in the knowledge of lawn care. They stumble onto this site and start down the rabbit hole of knowledge that’s in the vault. This discussion, as others, are in that vault. While they may not help you or seem pointless, they might not to someone else. That’s how I found this forum, just looking for knowledge and read threads just like this one, may not have told me what to do but a lot of them told me what not to do.

Derwood

LawnSite Silver Member
Sooo …. The Joker asks for advice about mowing 2 lawns, and maybe a 3rd, in an attempt to make some money while waiting to get back to his “real” job, and then gets bent out of shape when not everyone falls all over themselves helping him.

Then he talks down to the audience and say “show some respect” when he has shown none himself, or has he done anything to earn any respect. In fact, he back door disrespected ALL of us in several comments!

perhaps he shouldn’t fire off posts while walking from gym class to study hall.

He was offered plenty of business building advice early on, and brushed it off as offensive. Clearly he is used to being praised by all for simply making an effort, whether or not it is a good effort.

This was an entertaining read tonight lol! Thank you Joker!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Forums