• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Got this call this morning...

STL Cuts

LawnSite Senior Member
I got a call this morning from a women requesting an estimate for mowing for the year. After speaking with her for about 5 minutes and receiving her address, info, etc. I asked her how she heard about us.

She said she had received an aeration flyer in the Fall and held onto it.

This just surprised me as she never called for aeration, she just held onto our aeration flyer for 4-5 months and is now calling about mowing.

Guess it just goes to show some people really do hold onto things for a long time. What's even better is she is only about a mile from my house :cool2:.

topsites

LawnSite Fanatic
Yeah...

Not a lot of folks realize this but more than a few of us are hard to find, guys like myself,
I don't advertise in the phone book, I don't have my name and number plastered everywhere,
even my truck and trailer is plain jane and GFL finding me on Google too lol.

Why, believe it or not after so many years I actually prefer it that way, call me crazy but I have this belief
that it somehow makes my service more valuable but even if it doesn't I am tired of being pestered by every
tom dick and harry (and I ain't talking customers here, but comedians).

There are those of us, too, who have realized that if a business can be built purely on word of mouth,
that business is likely to have a demand for their services that runs deeper than the demand created
by the usual every day ad... The kind of demand that when I get a call, it's usually not a waste of my time.

Last but not least a flier shows at least some kind of an effort, someone had to physically get off their duff and head out of
the house to put those fliers out, and I think that says a little more about a person than say perhaps some free classified ad.

So those who do understand at least some of this know, hang on to the flier, you might not find another.

Last edited:

ProcsLC

LawnSite Member
Well said Topsites...

It just goes to show you that it is always a good time to advertise... I have had similar situations come up just like the one you mentioned... Good luck this season and keep at it, and make every form of advertisement count this season and see how many calls you get next year as well from it!

punt66

LawnSite Fanatic
Yeah...

Not a lot of folks realize this but more than a few of us are hard to find, guys like myself,
I don't advertise in the phone book, I don't have my name and number plastered everywhere,
even my truck and trailer is plain jane and GFL finding me on Google too lol.

Why, believe it or not after so many years I actually prefer it that way, call me crazy but I have this belief
that it somehow makes my service more valuable but even if it doesn't I am tired of being pestered by every
tom dick and harry (and I ain't talking customers here, but comedians).

There are those of us, too, who have realized that if a business can be built purely on word of mouth,
that business is likely to have a demand for their services that runs deeper than the demand created
by the usual every day ad... The kind of demand that when I get a call, it's usually not a waste of my time.

Last but not least a flier shows at least some kind of an effort, someone had to physically get off their duff and head out of
the house to put those fliers out, and I think that says a little more about a person than say perhaps some free classified ad.

So those who do understand at least some of this know, hang on to the flier, you might not find another.
occasionally you have these moments of clarity. This is one. :laugh:

Big C

LawnSite Bronze Member
I think running a legit biz and not doing some form of advertising is crazy...why not?....hell even funeral homes advertise and they're service sells itself.:dizzy:

punt66

LawnSite Fanatic
I think running a legit biz and not doing some form of advertising is crazy...why not?....hell even funeral homes advertise and they're service sells itself.:dizzy:
I dont advertise. My list is full. I dont have to spend time and fuel running around getting estimates. Phone hardley ever rings. It takes time to get that list. You need to grow a list of GOOD clients and they learn your way and you learn their expectations and suddenly the phones no longer ring. Referals come. Topsites is spot on with his post.