Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
7,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took a customer off a competitor a few weeks ago. We were cutting next door, guy came out, asked the price and hired on the spot.

Cutting him today and noticed chopped up white Kleenex everywhere. Quick inspection found Kleenex stacks wrapped in a thin beige paper and planted under dead leaves that are falling from drought affected trees.

Back in the day I would have responded with midnight round up balloons on the competitors spray properties but probably too old for that now…..Plus everyone got Ring Doorbells.

·
Registered
13,046 Posts
I took a customer off a competitor a few weeks ago. We were cutting next door, guy came out, asked the price and hired on the spot.

Cutting him today and noticed chopped up white Kleenex everywhere. Quick inspection found Kleenex stacks wrapped in a thin beige paper and planted under dead leaves that are falling from drought affected trees.

Back in the day I would have responded with midnight round up balloons on the competitors spray properties but probably too old for that now…..Plus everyone got Ring Doorbells.
Seriously competition has time for those sort of juvenile pranks? Yeesh.

Though I don't usually like to rob other guys of their biz mid season, seems a shade less than ethical even if it is not. To each his own.....

·
Registered
24,994 Posts

So, you would ruin someone else's property just to get even with the guy that cuts it? I'd say you should always be too old for that.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
When you cut bag the lawn. If someone did it, they will probably come back after to see the results and stop when they notice nothing.

·
Registered
7,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Have you tried bagging thousands of pieces of chopped Kleenex? Don’t work well.

The point of round up balloons is the guy will have to repair the lawn for the homeowner as they are providing seasonal fert/squirt/seeding/aeration etc.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Seriously competition has time for those sort of juvenile pranks? Yeesh.

Though I don't usually like to rob other guys of their biz mid season, seems a shade less than ethical even if it is not. To each his own.....
How is it "robbing" them of business if the homeowner approached him?

"Oh, no... I couldn't - you already have someone mowing your lawn. You're stuck with them for the rest of the season."

·
Registered
447 Posts
If the customer came to you mid season, and asked, makes me ask…what was the ither company doing to make the customer feel like they should inquire about other providers?

obviously this other guy is a bit if a tool if he tissue bombed that customer’s property.

i say the customer is better off. Give the footage to the police and explain the circumstances. It’d at LEAST make the other company uncomfortable from the police visit. At most it would be a criminal mischief ticket/fine.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
To everyone here: use some common sense! If some d-bag decides to sabotage one of your customer's yards, no rational LCO is going to retaliate by doing the same. The customers are innocent parties in this matter. What you SHOULD do is clean up the yard/paper bits flawlessly and tell your customer to report this guy to law enforcement if he steps foot on the property again. Just fix it, and move forward. This is what a mature adult does. I can't believe I have to tell y'all this.😐

·
Registered
8,488 Posts
To everyone here: use some common sense! If some d-bag decides to sabotage one of your customer's yards, no rational LCO is going to retaliate by doing the same. The customers are innocent parties in this matter. What you SHOULD do is clean up the yard/paper bits flawlessly and tell your customer to report this guy to law enforcement if he steps foot on the property again. Just fix it, and move forward. This is what a mature adult does. I can't believe I have to tell y'all this.😐
You do understand sarcasm?

1 - 20 of 106 Posts