Got your DOT numbers yet?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GroundKprs, Aug 23, 2002.

  1. GroundKprs

    GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,969

    For all Indiana operators, and probably most everyone else soon, if not already:

    The Motor Carrier Safety Act of 1984 is known for the requirement of CDL for vehicles and vehicle combinations over 26,000 lbs Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR). Indiana and most other states have adopted the requirements of MCSA. One of the requirements, now in effect in IN, but not being actively enforced at present, is that commercial vehicles (and combination vehicles) over 10,000# GVWR must meet certain requirements. Applies to most of us: a 1/2 to 3/4 ton truck has a GVWR of 7000# to 9000#, and a daul axle trailer (usually 2 3500# axles) has a GVWR of 7000#. This is based on the manufacturers GVWRs for truck and trailer, not the weight you are actually running.

    Some of the regs for IN guys:

    1- must have a DOT number, and display it on vehicle.

    2- must have an annual certified inspection of truck and trailer, with inspection certificate(s) available if asked.

    3- Driver must have on person a valid medical examiners certificate. This is just a short card, but is based on a 5-page physical administered by a licensed medical examiner. Don't need to carry the whole 5 pages like a CDL driver.

    4- fire extinguishers required on vehicles: at least a 5:B,C (I think it was) in proper state of charge.

    5- safety triangles for breakdowns required to be carried.

    ISP Motor Carrier Inspector gave a talk about it at the IPLLA field day yesterday. Got a bunch of handouts, but not complete info, and can't find anything concise on the web yet. Sounds like a great winter project to get into compliance, in case enforcement starts soon. The inspector said the fewest violations he has found on our size vehicle combos is 6-8, but he often gets 2 dozen violations in one stop.

    One important note: we all know the lower rated trailer plates are cheaper. You can legitimately put a 3000# plate on a 7000# trailer. But if he gets out his scales, and you are over the plate rating, your trailer is immediately impounded (towed by some officers), until you return to get it with the proper rated plate.
  2. Sucks to be you all, but once you get into compliance it is easy to maintain.

    I think here our DOT requires a DOT # on trucks of CDL classifcation of 26,000 gvw licensing an over no matter what.

    But registered farm truck are exempt from CDL requirements.

    Also if you have a sign on your truck I think by Ferderal lawn you are to have a DOT number if over 10,000 registered gvw rating.

    But, no sign, no DOT # needed in MO because it is not required.
  3. SLS

    SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars
    Messages: 1,540

    Ain't life grand when you have to jump through all these hoops just to pull a little trailer with a mower on it? I see it as the governments way of collecting money (tax) from those of us who pull a trailer as a way of making a living.

    Chances are some uninsured jerk driving on a revoked license is going to smash into you anyway. :mad:

    Oh well, you can't fight city hall,....or can you??? ;)
  4. thelawnguy

    thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,411

    The only reason a vehicle under 26K GVW but over 10K GVW needs DOT number and the driver to possess a CDL is if the vehicle is required to be placarded. (Hazmat).

    These are Federal regulations BTW which all states must abide by if they expect to get any federal highway money.
  5. GroundKprs

    GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,969

    My statements were for Indiana. A CDL is not required, but commercial vehicles over 10,000# are covered now in Indiana. The 26,000#+ and hazmat requirements are smoothed out here now, and they are working now on the 10,000#+ requirements. Like I said, it is not yet being aggressively enforced.

    I assume the state trooper knows what he is talking about. I'd rather not wait to get stopped and have a judge tell me he was right. ;)

    I'll definitely be researching this winter.
  6. Richard Martin

    Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 14,699

    Jim, would that be the CGVWR (Combined Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) of over 10,000 pounds? Usually a half ton truck is under 5,000 pounds and is not able to pull anywhere near 5,000 pounds depending on tranny and axle ratio. My F-150 has a CGVWR of 8,800 pounds.
  7. Albemarle Lawn

    Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,544

    The big corps register in Bermuda to avoid millions in taxes.

    I register personal. Sole proprietorship has some advantages over being incorporated.

    Just be well INSURED for commercial use, but REGISTERED as personal use.

  8. captdevo

    captdevo LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 932

    funny this came up.....i was just stopped!

    02' gmc 2500 4x4 duramax...9200lbs, 24' equipment trailer 12k lbs. capacity.

    it's not what you have on them, it's rated capacity that they go by.

    these regulations and posted dot # is nationwide.....

    if you transit interstate (from one state to another)

    it differs if you transit intrastate (within one state)

    i didn't get cited....he mainly pulled me over to check out a Walker i had on the trailer...just an FYI
  9. GroundKprs

    GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,969

    R Martin, it is based on the GVWR of the vehicle or vehicle combo. Your CGVWR can be 8800, but if the truck GVWR is 5000# and the trailer GVWR is 7000#, you need a DOT number and all the other stuff. Of course, if you got stopped, he'd also ticket you for overloading towing capacity, LOL.

    Albermarle, your trick may save in taxes in your state, but it won't help if you're driving any commercial vehicle and are stopped by an ISP motor carrier inspector. The DOT regs even include NAFTA considerstions for international trucks.
  10. GeoffDiamond

    GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine
    Messages: 1,651

    Federal CDL

    Dot Numbers if:

    Used for Interstate or Intrastate work, meaning the truck goes over 100 air miles of goes to a different state.

    Or if the truck is requires a haz mat endorsement. Even if the truck is under 26K GVW a class C CDL with haz-mat is required.

    Just for your information:

    If the truck is pulling a trailer over 10,000 lbs the driver must have a class A cdl. It doesn't matter if the trailer is being pulled with a tri-axel dump truck or an F 350.


Share This Page