Gould J10s 1hp vs J15s 1.5hp

Crazy 4 grass

LawnSite Fanatic
My wife is kindly giving me a new well pump for my birthday, for our house.

My irrigation has a 1.25inch sandpoint well,
13 zones, 10 heads per zone. Hunter pgv valves and PGP heads. All piping is one inch poly. Swing joints at the heads.

Current pump is 3/4 horse red lion and is way undersized.

I had determined to get the j10s for $500 but now I see the J15s is only $100 more at $600.

Which one should I get?.

OP
Crazy 4 grass

Crazy 4 grass

LawnSite Fanatic
I should add this.

My mains are very short runs(less thsn 30ft) to two manifolds of 7 valves. After that each zone is roughly 300ft of one inch poly, heads 30ft apart.

enorl76

LawnSite Senior Member
Dont buy this pump. It can do 26 GPM at 30 PSI. Thats kinda bumpkus.

You have no idea what your flow and PSI requirements for the system are. Whats the flow rate for the zones? What rotors are used? Impacts can use less PSI (about ~25) and stream rotors are usually better with higher PSI.

You buy a pump thats sized to the system.

enorl76

LawnSite Senior Member

You have no idea what your flow and PSI requirements for the system are. Whats the flow rate for the zones? What rotors are used? Impacts can use less PSI (about ~25) and stream rotors are usually better with higher PSI.

You also should know, or find out, what the static level of the well is. If its more than 10 ft, all the shallow well pumps get kicked in the ole' pump curve.

BTW a much better pump is the Goulds GT20 or second best is GT15.

OP
Crazy 4 grass

Crazy 4 grass

LawnSite Fanatic

Interesting. I wonder why the j series is marketed as a shallow well pump but the g series is better eh. What about them makes them different? Isn't the flow rate kind of dictated by the max flow 5 ft per second reccomendation ?
All of the piping in this system is one inch. To stay at 5-7 fps 12- 18gpm would be allowable I believe. This is why I was looking at 20gpm pumps. Wouldn't the one you suggested be overkill for the onch inch piping size? Pgp rotors are used. Zones are currently nozzled down to the flow rate thar the old pump puts out. I plan on having to renozzle everything to compensate for the higher flow of the new pump.

OP
Crazy 4 grass

Crazy 4 grass

LawnSite Fanatic
You also should know, or find out, what the static level of the well is. If its more than 10 ft, all the shallow well pumps get kicked in the ole' pump curve.

BTW a much better pump is the Goulds GT20 or second best is GT15.
Aren't the gt pumps centrifugal pumps more designed for high volume low pressure ? And aren't the j series jet pumps more for less volume but higher pressure? I'm very curious about this if you can shed more light on it.

Well static water level is at 16ft

Top Forums