Grade my zoysia install

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Andrew Stephen, Apr 16, 2018.

?

What would you do for this sod?

1. Let it go, what's done is done

5 vote(s)
    55.6%
  2. Throw some sand under the low spots

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  3. Tear out and rebuild

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Andrew Stephen

Andrew Stephen LawnSite Member

I purchased a home a few years back (Central Texas) with buffalo grass installed about 50% of the front yard, the other 50% was mostly dirt with a few small patches of various grasses.

This past week I modified my irrigation system, tilled up the buffalo grass and loosened all the soil, and picked up 3 pallets of fresh cut zeon zoysia (on Friday) to install over the weekend. Of course it thunderstormed on Friday night so I was dealing with a bit of a thick muddy foundation which made it awfully hard to grade smooth.

The result is shown in the picture below. Hence the title of the post.. how bad does this install look and will it even out any more? I do have several yards of chocolate loam in my back yard that I can use to lift up some of the sod to fill in low spots if that's a viable possibility. Would appreciate any wisdom from the turf guys. Thoughts and prayers from all others :)

Pic was taken this morning (48 hours post install)

IMG_1733.JPG

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Too far away for any real expertise. I am still trying to get the ice off my driveway.
    I think it will grow a bit and look OK. After the sod takes hold--you can mow it evenly.
    That is--unless you plan to mow it short--or use a reel mower. In this case you will have to work at leveling it to avoid scalp spots and spots where one wheel drops into a hole.

3. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Zeon. You will want to topdress with sand to get it flat enough to mow low. When I say low, I mean a maintenance height of 0.5-0.7 inches.

4. woodlawnservice

woodlawnservice LawnSite Bronze Member

Roll it when super moist, sand it or topdress it and fertilize it well!

5. woodlawnservice

if u roll it with heavy roller and get to much compaction, aerate it then sand it or topdress and fertilize it

6. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

Top dress after the roots establish and several more times over the summer. A sandy topsoil mix is the best product to use for this.

7. Andrew Stephen

When would you recommend applying the first round of fertilizer? The sod farm said apply 13-13-13, but I forgot to ask when to apply it after laying the sod.

8. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Is the grass growing? If it is, fertilizer needs to go down now. My normal post install fertilizer is 20-20-20 at 1/2 lb of N or 2.5 lb of fertilizer per 1000 sq ft and repeated in 14 days after the first application.

hort101 likes this.
  9. woodlawnservice

now

10. Andrew Stephen

Can't really tell a difference since I laid it down 48 hours ago if it is growing or not? I'm watering 20 minutes in AM and 20 minutes early evening around 3-4pm. Sun sets around 8pm.

I went to Home Depot and could not find a 20-20-20. I did find a 13-13-13, all other products are super high nitrogen with minimal phos.

I am confused as to when to water the grass after I fertilize. Do I fertilize when grass is dry and then water immediately after?