Grade my zoysia install

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Andrew Stephen, Apr 16, 2018.

?

What would you do for this sod?

1. Let it go, what's done is done

5 vote(s)
    55.6%
  2. Throw some sand under the low spots

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  3. Tear out and rebuild

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Andrew Stephen

Andrew Stephen LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the help bud. I really, really, appreciate it. I'll will post an update in two weeks!

hort101 likes this.
  2. woodlawnservice

woodlawnservice LawnSite Bronze Member

makes no difference on which or when u do either... keep the sod semi moist and fert. away. afyer the first wk depending pn weather i cut the watering back

3. Andrew Stephen

Oops one more thing! When should I give it a first mowing? Some areas appear to be noticeably growing.

I spread 5lbs of triple 13 this afternoon (on 1444sqft) and cut several tree limbs down, hoping that will help!

4. mtl40

mtl40 LawnSite Member

Andrew, of course our location/conditions are not the same, but wanted to let you know that I have had Zeon growing really well (overtaking Bermuda even) in about 3-4 hrs of afternoon sunlight. It was doing so well (and we love “the barefoot grass” so much), I decided to renovate, regrade and sod the entire backyard (3k sq ft) and front yard (1k sq ft) with it.
    Down just 48 hrs and now we have a deluge of rain from the storm that just passed you by. Hoping for the best, of course. If anyone has recommendations or has posted care for Zeon in another thread, it would be great to learn some more. Thank you all for sharing your knowledge!

5. Andrew Stephen

Thanks for the info mtl40. I'm at day 9 post-op, grass is looking good, a little brown around the edges but doing better than I expected., although still really lumpy which i will try my best to topdress over time.

What have you been mowing your original zeon with, reel or rotary mower? My lawn is so bumpy I don't know what the safest thing to use is, scissors maybe.

6. mtl40

mtl40 LawnSite Member

Lol...I, too, am worried about what to cut it with when it is ready. I actually got rid of my gas mower last year and thought about a manual reel mower.
    When we had it growing along with the other grasses (centipede, Bermuda) in the yard it sometimes got scalped accidentally where it was bumpy or meeting the other grasses. It recovered quickly but it was another reason for renovating to just one type of grass.
    I was even looking at an Ego battery powered mower but the blade would need to be frequently sharpened I’m sure. I really don’t want a loud gas mower. I enjoy the exercise mowing provides and getting outside in the garden, but I hear that manual reels may be a little more than I bargained for. Haven’t seen many reviews of manual reels. If you have seen any, please share...I’ll do the same.

7. Sam in Tampa

Sam in Tampa LawnSite Member

I just had Geo Zoysia installed here in Florida on 4/3/2018. The sod company I used recommends mowing after approximately 3 weeks. Based on the current condition and how well its rooting, my plan is to cut it relatively high next week... probably about 1.5 inches with my new Gardena 4025-U battery powered reel mower. LIke you, my grass is rather lumpy... I wasn't thrilled with the prep done by my installer. I've been rolling the sod after watering with a 270 lb Brinley manual roller. I think it is helping a bit. I did try to add some sand to some of the areas that were really low. I will probably need to add more topsoil sometime this summer to help with the leveling and allow me to cut the lawn at less than 1".

Andrew Stephen and mtl40 like this.
  8. Andrew Stephen

I attempted to roll last week but I don't think it improved much at all. I feel like my feet were causing worse divots as I pushed the heavy roller across the sod. Would probably work better after roots are more established. Here's pics from this AM two weeks post install. I'd say most squares have rooted, noticing some browning along the edges but that's probably because of the uneven install and varying sod thickness. I'm planning to top dress with sand and soil in the next couple of weeks. I think mowing at 3 weeks seems pretty reasonable for me at this point, I'm at probably 1.25" height now.

IMG_1784.JPG

IMG_1785.JPG

IMG_1786.JPG

Sam in Tampa likes this.
  9. mtl40

mtl40 LawnSite Member

This looks very familiar. Thank you for posting. I've experienced the same with a roller and decided I was just going to let it root and then level the best I can.
    I'll post some pics of mine, but it looks similar with the addition of a ton of weeds. First the Poa Annua, then nutsedge (which came with the sod as they are perennials and were isolated to particular squares) and now I'm seeing some lovely crabgrass come through. It's disheartening and I'm not sure how to treat it (especially the crabgrass). Most have advised to not put down any herbicides for new sod. Are you experiencing any of this? Have you read anything on treating weeds for new sod lawns? Thanks!

10. Sam in Tampa

Sam in Tampa LawnSite Member

Herbicide Applications And Your New Yard
    It is typically not recommended to use herbicide on new grass until after it has rooted.

http://freshsod.com/maintenance/new-sod-care/

I suspect that most of the new sod will be rooted after a reasonable amount of time (4 weeks?). At that point, it seems like an herbicide could be used... I will leave it to the experts. I'm also seeing quite a few weeds. I will consult with my spray company to see what they put down in the next treatment and post back.

mtl40 likes this.