Lawn Care Forum banner

granular / how long to stay off

4K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  jonthepain 
#1 ·
What recommendation (How long) do you give clients as far as staying off turf after it has been fertilized, as well as for pets when using granular products.

#4 ·
I have never heard of a problem from dogs or pets eating fertilizer. I imagine it is not too tasty. Farmer's dogs are around fertilizer all the time, especially dogs at the elevator.
Organic products made from chicken waste or blood meal---I don't know.

Bogus idea...I think...but green-leaning women's magazines are fond of saying in articles that fert can injure the paws of dogs or that they can be sickened by licking fert off their paws. Anybody have any personal experience about this idea?

Good point--those who own dogs probably know...chocolate is very toxic to dogs. And in some areas especially near Hersey's chocolate plant...chocolate bean waste is used and sold as mulch. Smells great, but...

Does anybody have any personal experience with this problem?

#6 ·
Good point--those who own dogs probably know...chocolate is very toxic to dogs. And in some areas especially near Hersey's chocolate plant...chocolate bean waste is used and sold as mulch. Smells great, but...

Does anybody have any personal experience with this problem?
We are pretty close to Hershey, and I have never heard of them doing that. You learn something everyday. Now I have to find a place that sells it, just to see it. :)

#8 ·
HAHAHA!
Funny you should respond to pets eating the fertilizer products. It can happen!! I had a customer with a miniature doberman. This dog would wait until I fertilized and got a few prills on the back patio. The dog would come out of the doggie door and lick the salt prills up.??? My dog loves the taste of triple 13,etc. Salt is the essence when it is hot.
I forgot and left a opened bag of Urea in the back of my truck; drove into the pasture to cut down a tree and my mare at 15 lbs. before I could get to her.

Salt, in the growing season can be interesting to animals. If the granule is of combination products, just make sure you blow off any prills from hard surfaces. Don't take what the books say............anything is possible. As far as staying off the grass, fertilizer has no REI restrictions. You need to inspect the label on other products though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.