Granule or liquid (with backpack sprayer)

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by nolo, Feb 13, 2018 at 9:45 PM.

1. nolo

nolo LawnSite Member

What do you think the best option for a person with just a backpack sprayer? Dimension liquid with a backpack sprayer or granular with a spreader. I'm thinking about going with Dimension liquid in the 1/2 gallon or a locally mixed Dimension granule (see below). I plan on using it on two properties. Both are around 8 to 10k sqft.

I think the minimum application rate is 1 gallon of water per 1000sqft. If I use more water to mix, it will take a lot of refills using a backpack sprayer.

IMG_5142.JPG

2. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

What is the fertilizer base and on what kind of grass? Dimension may be applied in as little as 20 gallon per acre or 0.5 gallon per 1000 sq ft. It can be done with a backpack sprayer with a boom. I comfortably do 10-20,000 sq ft with an engine drive backpack and a three tip boom. If hand pumped, a two tip boom can work.

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Most people do a granular fertilizer with Dimension and follow-up with a backpack sprayer with broadleaf herbicide. Takes longer, but the quality is better than one-step companies. This is because you can put a tiny bit extra broadleaf weed control where needed. And you can put a bit of extra crabgrass control where needed. Don't go over label rate, of course.

bmc1025 likes this.
  4. greendoctor

I am thinking maybe he wants to skip putting nitrogen on the lawn or better still, Potassium Chloride and lime on the lawn. Good reasons for me to spray a Pre rather than put it out on a granular fertilizer. What you described to me is done in three steps. 1. Preemergent. 2. Fertilizer if indicated and appropriate. 3. Postemergent weed control. On the occasion that fertilizers and Preemergents are needed at the same time, there is no problem tank mixing the two.

5. nolo

nolo LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies.

It is St. Augustine grass.

6. greendoctor

Why are you wanting to put a root pruner on St Augustine? What weeds are you trying to prevent with this application of Dimension. A good place to start is previous posts on Centipede. Management wise, the only difference between Centipede and St Augustine is the former's need for a very acid soil. Other difference is how Centipede will tolerate Sethoxydim and Pylex. Otherwise, do's and don'ts are similar.

7. nolo

nolo LawnSite Member

I had a huge crabgrass issue last year. I'm trying to use the dimension as a preemergent.

8. greendoctor

I will use the lower rate of Barricade rather than Dimension on St Augustine. Image, Celsius, Revolver are among what I apply post.