grass clippings

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by stuey12345, Jul 9, 2019.

1. stuey12345

stuey12345 LawnSite Member

I just have a quick question, I have searched and found a few answers, I bag 100% of my lawns, I only have a few as its a part time business for now, what do you guys do with the clippings, I am currently using bags in my bins, but what a pain in the ass to empty 30 bags of grass, looking for an easier solution, maybe a trailer with a side dump??? Truck box with a dump will not work for me as I use the truck box for other things. Thanks!!

GrassManKzoo likes this.
  2. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Fanatic
    from Chicago

Stop bagging is the easiest solution. Mulching the clippings is much better for the soil and grass health anyways.

Dawson likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    stuey12345

Too often the grass is damp or a little too long. Mulching makes a mess.

4. OP
    OP
    stuey12345

Maybe I am using the wrong mower. I would have no problem buying a new mowing as long as it would mulch good. Advise on the best mulching mower???

5. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Fanatic
    from Chicago

Mow more often!

Im sure other who bag will chime in. I only bag in certain situations. When I do the clippings go into the bed of the truck. I deal with it at the end of the day.

6. GrassManKzoo

GrassManKzoo LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Kalamazoo, MI

I’m staying out of it this time, ive posted my stance on the situation numerous times :dizzy:

7. OP
    OP
    stuey12345

I would like to know your stance. Just looking for advice

8. GrassManKzoo

GrassManKzoo LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Kalamazoo, MI

9. rixtag

rixtag LawnSite Senior Member
    from Lehi Ut

I bag 100% of my properties. It's what sets me apart from the other LCO's in the area. My nieces and nephews outgrew their trampoline and I lay the tramp mat in the bed of the truck. I fold it up when I travel and fold out the sides when I'm mowing. It's fantastic. the water drains out because it can and then when I go either to the green waste dump or the landfill, I shovel it out until I can pull the whole thing out at once. It's dry at the beginning of the next week. If there is a place to tie off where you dump it there are plenty of rings to hook up the rope and drag it out of the truck if needed. In the spring you shovel more to be able drag it out by hand but by mid June when the growth slows down you can easily just roll it out. I have a plastic drop in bedliner and that makes it very nice to pull it out and for cleanup. I can get pics if this doesn't make any sense.

hort101 and GrassManKzoo like this.
  10. Green Industry Pro

Green Industry Pro LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Tyler Texas

No reason to bag. I used to bag a lot when I first started but when I got commercial mowers, there's no need. They go through tall or wet grass with ease. Just double cut if you have to. We only bag during cleanups and the debris goes into the truck, then to the landfill because I have nowhere else to dump.